LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW CANopen

Hello,

I plan to control an inverter that has a CANopen interface via PC and LabVIEW.

Is it possible to do this with the CANopen Toolkit and the USB-8502?

Thanks in advance

Greetings Marcus

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(3,006 Views)

I don't know what CANopen Toolkit your are referring to, but here is a list of NI CANopen tools and the supported hardware: 
https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000P6yhSAC&l=da-DK

As the USB-8502 is a XNET device, there are no CANopen tool from NI that support this device. 

https://www.ni.com/da-dk/support/model.usb-8502.html

But you should be able to make your own CANopen implementation with XNET.  

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(2,989 Views)

@dkfire wrote:

I don't know what CANopen Toolkit your are referring to, but here is a list of NI CANopen tools and the supported hardware: 
https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000P6yhSAC&l=da-DK

I was reffering to the "NI-Industrial Communications for CANopen". I thougt this was the only CANopen tool.

@dkfire wrote:

But you should be able to make your own CANopen implementation with XNET.  

If possible i would like to avoid making an Implementation of CANopen on my own.

Mainly i am looking for a solution to control the CANopen capable inverter via the PC with LabVIEW.

After looking at your first link the USB 8473 might be suitable for my application but sadly it is discontinued.

PXI/PCI-8531, NI-9881 and NI 9853 are not an option in terms of price.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17
(2,973 Views)

Hi dblmm,

I was reffering to the "NI-Industrial Communications for CANopen". I thougt this was the only CANopen tool.

If possible i would like to avoid making an Implementation of CANopen on my own.

PXI/PCI-8531, NI-9881 and NI 9853 are not an option in terms of price.

I guess you already found this article on your own: it lists the supported hardware for the IndustrialCANopen toolkit.

It does not list the NI8502 module…

The NI8502 is a XNET module, so you have to use the XNET driver, which is plain CAN. But CANopen is also just using CAN messages, so the implementation is a nice way to learn the CANopen internals. (For your inverter you probably only need to implement a SYNC message, a PDO read/write and maybe the SDO for some configurations.)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17
(2,962 Views)

Hi GerdW,

thank you for that clarification.

How high would you estimate the time and effort for someone who is quite new to communications using LabVIEW to implement CANopen with the XNET drivers?

Greetings

dblmm

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(2,918 Views)

Hi dblmm,

@dblmm wrote:

How high would you estimate the time and effort for someone who is quite new to communications using LabVIEW to implement CANopen with the XNET drivers?

I didn't work with XNET so far as I do most stuff hidden in the FPGA of a cRIO equipped with NI9853 modules. And on testbenches with PCs we still use some older CAN cards of the pre-XNET era…

But @Hooovahh has some excellent stuff to let you learn XNET right from the start: look up his signature!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(2,907 Views)

In my opinion, using an PXI/PCI-8531 and the existing CANopen driver will be less expensive than using a less expensive interface but requiring the development of a driver.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(2,900 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

Hi dblmm,

@dblmm wrote:

I didn't work with XNET so far as I do most stuff hidden in the FPGA of a cRIO equipped with NI9853 modules. And on testbenches with PCs we still use some older CAN cards of the pre-XNET era…

But @Hooovahh has some excellent stuff to let you learn XNET right from the start: look up his signature!

I will look at that

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(2,892 Views)

@JB wrote:

In my opinion, using an PXI/PCI-8531 and the existing CANopen driver will be less expensive than using a less expensive interface but requiring the development of a driver.

I'd agree wih that if I only had to get the PXI/PCI Card. Problem is I do not have the required hardware for them and quite strict requirements: I need to use an USB based solution in my application.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(2,891 Views)

Looking back again on this link: https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000P6yhSAC&l=da-DK

If I somehow can get my hands on the discontinued USB-8473 it should work for my application or am i wrong?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
(2,871 Views)