From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW 5.1 Application Crash

Dear Sirs,

our application (built with LabVIEW 5.1) occasionally
crashes with the attachet Dr.Watson log.

Looking at the log, do you have any idea of what causes
the crash?

The application is controlling the following NI hardware: Ethernet FieldPoint OR PC-DIO96, IMAQ,
plus 2 Galil Motion Control Boards.

Thank you for the help!

Daniele Fava
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,325 Views)
Daniele;

This type of crash is very difficult to narrow down. Some questions to answer:

1. How occasionally is "ocassionally"? Is there any sort of periodicity to the crash?
2. Does the software seem to be doing anything in particular when it goes down?
3. Is this same software running on another computer?
4. Is it possible to run just certain portions of the code to narrow down what's not playing well together? Personally, I'd be suspecious of the FieldPoint and the two motion controller boards (in that order).
5. What is your memory consumption and cpu utilization doing around the time of the crash? There could be a memory leak that is culminating in the crash.
6. The drivers for the non-NI motion control boards, are they DLLs, CINs or what? Imprope
r DLL calls can cause sporatic crashes.
7. Is there anything else running on the computer that you don't normally think about being there? Look for network-based automated backups, virus scans, print servers anything that runs in the background.
8. Does the crash still happen when you have the thing on an isolated network (i.e. no other network services running).

Sorry that this doesn't give you a solid answer, but as I said these types of problems can be a bear to troubleshoot. Unfortunately you may never know what is causing it--one day it will just stop doing it...

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,325 Views)