LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW 2021 Find and replace does not work for Type Def?

I swear this used to work on a Type Def, but it doesn't seem to now.

fnrCapture.JPG

Selecting one and pressing Replace Selected or pressing Replace All just grays out the button and does nothing.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(743 Views)

Try using a strict type def.  Then anytime you make a change and save it it updates everywhere.  While the type def is open and you have done something to it everywhere it is used it greys out until you save it.

Create the cluster, ring, etc. Right click and select "create type def." 

Right click on it an select open type def.  When it opens at the top click on the bar that says Type Def and select Strict Type Def.  go to File->Save and you have a strict type def. 

If you are using cluster and you add things to the cluster all of the unbundle by name continue to work when you add more stuff. 

If you use cluster-to-array things will break or array-to-cluster things will break and you will have to update the number of elements.  Lesson learned do not use those functions on strict type defs.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(677 Views)

@Tom_Powers wrote:

Try using a strict type def.  Then anytime you make a change and save it it updates everywhere.  While the type def is open and you have done something to it everywhere it is used it greys out until you save it.

Yeah, I know how to make and update a Type def.  I wanted to replace a Type Def with a Type Def from a different project since that should have been faster than updating the old Type Def and would not effect code that still uses the old Type Def.

But that is all bedside the point as Find and Replace has a bug in LabVIEW 2021, bit I can't remember where to report bugs at. I swear there used to be a board for that...

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(664 Views)