From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW 2017 and Switch Executive 2015 error -29003

Solved!
Go to solution

(OS = Windows 10) 

After upgrading to LabVIEW 2017, uninstalling and reinstalling Switch Executive 2015, when I use the Switch Executive VI's in LabVIEW 2017,

I get the error -29003 (This session is not a valid NI Switch Executive virtual device session).  Oddly enough, when I switch back to LabVIEW 2016, I have no problems with Switch Executive. This problem, in my case, is only when I use LabVIEW 2017. 

Wondering if I'm the only one.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,483 Views)

To add to this, I have found that it is with LabVIEW 2017 64-bit version.  It works with LabVIEW 2017 32 bit-version

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,444 Views)

dmf,

What made you choose the 64-bit version of LabVIEW 2017 to use?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,430 Views)

Hello BrandonC1,

With going into to much detail, the computer I'm using (PXIe-8880) is equipped with 24GB of RAM. It is a multi-unit tester with some of its processes being waveform comparison and image OCR. In the near future it will be handling multiple loops in which those same processes will need to be repeated in each loop. Thus the reason for 64 bit.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,427 Views)

dmf,

It appears you also had a service request open with Robert, is that correct? I touched base with him and it appears he has communicated his workaround to you.

For anybody reading this later down the road, the workaround is:

1) Open and run NI I/O Trace

2) Call the NI SE functions in LabVIEW 2017 (64-bit) and the error goes away

Brandon

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,409 Views)

Even though the error is eliminated with that workaround, unfortunately I am unable to get the NISE vi's to work.  For example, running the connect or disconnect vi's will not operate the switches.  And there is no error message to show that there is anything wrong.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,400 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author dmf

dmf,

Ah, understood. As Robert recently explained, at this point it appears to be a compatibility issue between Windows 10 and SE 15.1. 

Downgrading to Windows 7 would put us at a compatible combination, or alternatively the NI-Swtich API in LabVIEW 17 on Windows 10 is a safe combination.

R&D has been notified this is something customers are running into, and will scale the priority accordingly.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,389 Views)