LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW 2017 EXE not working properly on an unlicensed system

I am using LabVIEW 2017 on Advantech. I have not installed the LabVIEW license file yet. 
But I have been running an EXE continuously for over 10 days and getting ethernet communication errors (Communicating an external power supply). Also, an external relay card I am using is not working through the EXE.

Started observing this misbehavior after 9 days.

Could this be because of the unlicensed system? I am not aware of limitations for an application EXE on a system without LabVIEW license.

Kindly enlighten 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(108 Views)

Hi Kale,

@RutujaKale wrote:

But I have been running an EXE continuously for over 10 days and getting ethernet communication errors (Communicating an external power supply). Also, an external relay card I am using is not working through the EXE.

Could this be because of the unlicensed system? I am not aware of limitations for an application EXE on a system without LabVIEW license.

The runtime engine needed for EXE (created with LabVIEW) doesn't need any "license files". (I guess you don't use any toolkit/module that need deployment license, like Vision or OPC-UA!?)

So the problems you observe should not come from a missing license, but from other sources.

What about firewalls and network problems?

What about that "Advantech" hardware?

How do you communicate with this "external relay card"?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(104 Views)

@RutujaKale wrote:

Started observing this misbehavior after 9 days.

As mentioned, EXEs should not need a license key.

When you say "running an EXE continuously for over 10 days", do you mean:

"Started the EXE once and left it running 10 days in a row"

or

"Have been running the EXE daily, but sometimes restarting either the application or PC from time to time"

If it's the first one, the problem may lie with the application itself.  Running a program for days in a row without stopping can result in problems showing up due to minor programming mistakes that weren't a problem to begin with but build up over time.  For instance, an array that is added to once a second could be getting to a size that is now too large to manage timely.  Or if there's a reference created but not closed every second, eventually LabVIEW will start running out of available reference handles (it only allows up to ~1 million at a time).

So, if it's the first one, does the problem persist if you restart the application or reboot the system?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(63 Views)