LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW 2013 | Touch Panel Module | Windows CE v7.0

Hi,

I'm trying to connect to a third party touch panel. The OS is Windows CE 7.0. LabVIEW 2013 officially supports only Windows Embedded Standard but it only the executable behaviour that could be affected right? My problem is that I can't even access to my touch panel via TCP/IP. I have a message saying "Unable to connect to service". Even if my touch panel is running on Windows CE 7.0. I can ping my touch panel from my host computer and vice versa. Any solutions?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 5
(4,060 Views)

Any solution?

Is every third party touch panel are accessible via the Touch Panel Module presuming that one of the supported OS is installed on it?

I'd appreciate any suggestion,

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,983 Views)

Hi AlexDarsigny,

Support for Windows CE has been discontinued as of LabVIEW 2012. This means that a touch panel with Windows CE 7.0 will not be able to be accessed within a LabVIEW project with the Touch Panel Module. 

Touch panels running Windows Embedded Standard 7 (WES7) are able to be accessed within a LabVIEW project with the Touch Panel Module. To do this, National Instruments has numerous touch panel options available. WES7 images can vary slightly as the manufacturer has options to take out or leave in certain Windows components. As such, third-party embedded computers are not fully supported. However, typical WES7 images contain the necessary Windows components.

On the second page of the Getting Started with the LabVIEW Touch Panel Module document, there is the following note: 

"Windows Embedded Standard is a componentized version of Windows, which allows you to customize the operating system image. National Instruments tests and certifies the Touch Panel Module to work with the Windows Embedded Standard OS image that ships with National Instruments touch panel computers. If you use third-party touch panel hardware with Windows Embedded Standard and you do not install the correct components, the LabVIEW application may not function properly. Please contact National Instruments technical support at ni.com/support if you experience unexpected behavior executing a LabVIEW touch panel application with a third-party Windows Embedded Standard touch panel computer. However, National Instruments does not officially support compatibility issues with third-party Windows Embedded Standard 7 touch panel computers." 

David B.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,931 Views)

To whom it may concern,

As a continuation of this topic, my team was considering using Windows Embedded Compact 7 as a base for a touch panel interface system, using LabVIEW 2014. Between your comment and the Note provided below (taken from NI's webpage), it seems our options have been limited.

"NOTE: Starting with NI LabVIEW 2014, the remote development and deployment functionality of the LabVIEW Touch Panel Module is included in the LabVIEW development systems. As part of this transition, the LabVIEW 2014 development systems support only NI TPC-22xx touch panel computers running Windows Embedded Standard 7 (WES7). This OS provides increased reliability, fault tolerance, and customization features not available in other Windows OSs. For more information please read the white-paper Remote application Development for NI WES7-based targets."

It is not immediately clear to me if the above statement concurs with your comment that TPM is supported with (most) installations of Windows Embedded Standard . The above quote seems to imply that the TPM has been limited to only work with NI TPC products of a particular series - does this mean that we will not be able to properly utilize a third-party Touch Panel Computer (x86, with WES7)?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,336 Views)

One of the dangers of bumping older threads in a technology forum is things can change a bit.  You'd probably be better served by creating a thread to ask questions more specific to your desired application.

Are you hoping to use the Touch Panel Module to develop and deploy to the third party device as a target in your project?  Are you hoping to build executables that will run on the third party device?

The specific build of WES7 on our TPC devices is tested to work with our software.  Can it work on other devices?  Sure, it's possible.  That doesn't mean we can, or will, guarantee success.  I wouldn't be too certain WEC7 will work when it's only been tested for WES7.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,312 Views)