LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LVterm.vi does not recognize <ENTER> or <ARROW> Keys

Hi all,

Unfortunately, I have a device I am trying to setup with a VI rather than the user doing it. I constantly keep hitting a road block when it comes to the ENTER and ARROW keys.

I orignally was going to give up on this until I found the simulate keyboard VI and realized it could be recognized by Labview one way or another....albeit through the user32.dll.

Long story short, so I know to give up on this or not........How do I get the LVterm.vi to recognize the enter and arrow keys? After searching and searching, I find it really hard to believe that someone didnt have this issue before.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,069 Views)

What is LVterm.vi? It is not something that comes with LabVIEW. What exactly are you trying to send to this device? The arrow keys are not ASCII characters. The enter key could be either a CR of LF or both and that is trivial to send. What is the device? Do you have a manual you can attach? Have you tried the simple serial example that comes with LabVIEW?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,064 Views)

Where did you find this LVterm.vi you are talking about?  I am not familiar with it.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,063 Views)

I think he may be referring to this: https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-3066

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,055 Views)

That would be the one....sorry I forgot to mention that through link or VI.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,047 Views)

So, what exactly are you trying to do? As I said, sending a CR or LF is simple with a VISA Write. I don't understand the arrow keys though. How are you talking to the device now? Are you using some weird terminal emulation such as VT100?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,039 Views)

I am trying to send up/down arrow key commands via RS232. I can use the keyboard of course to do this manually to talk to the device but I want to automate that through Labview.I have no issues with writing VI's to communicate through RS232......but the arrow keys are new to me and I can't figure out how to send them.

I communicate to the device through hyperterminal...no problems there.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,019 Views)

Then you'll need to figure out what byte/character Hyperterminal sends when you press an arrow key when it is doing its "terminal emulation".  A program like portmon can help with that.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,017 Views)

Thanks, I shal give it a try.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,009 Views)

Check out the documentation for VT100, in particular the escape sequences.  You typically send an escape sequence as Esc[?.  Escape is 0x1B, [ is 0x5B, and ? is whatever the escape code is.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,997 Views)