LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LVOOP: Broken VI without errors

Solved!
Go to solution

I've been converting over some code to use a packed library and have ended up with an odd situation where I have no errors but still get a broken run arrow.  I'm assuming some sort of corruption in my typedef or in my packed library, but I may just be doing something wrong.

The attached project illustrates the issue.  The broken VI simply generates an indicator from my suspect TypeDef.  The error listing shows no errors.

Anyone care to take a look?

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,889 Views)

Broken Run Arrow with no errors

Here's a screenshot of what I'm running into. 

LabVIEW 2010 on Windows XP.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,884 Views)

Looks like a forced recompile gets me back into working order.  I'm still curious whether this is a bug in the NI dialog though.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,864 Views)

This happened to me the other day and I'm not sure why. Do you call anything dynamically that may still be running in the background? For instance, if you run a subVI independently to do some debugging, and that subVI is called from the main VI, it shows a broken arrow on the main VI.

If this is not the case, then I am not sure, but when this happens usually just closing and reopening the VI solves the problem for me.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,855 Views)

My real application has a bunch of producers which are launched dynamically.  These should exit once my main application releases and closes the producer-consumer queue.

I suppose something in my queue handling during development could have resulted in the corruption of my TypeDef. 

Maybe I'm just wishing for more protection against data corruption and in the event of data corruption, a little more guidance about recovery (i.e. a pop-up for "VI Corruption detected: Would you like to recompile?" or "VI Corruption detected: LabVIEW will now close the VI and release all references.").

Thanks for the response.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,843 Views)

Hi Taki1999,

Sometimes when editing a VI, the binary file can become corrupted, or linking may fail.  This can occur because LabVIEW compiles the block diagram in chuncks. Recompiling forces LabVIEW to relink the VI and often solves the problem or allows LabVIEW to at least isolate the problem.

Check out this KnowledgeBase article: My VI Will Not Run Correctly, but No Errors are Reported

Have a great day,

Chris V

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,841 Views)

Thanks Chris,

I'm getting "page cannot be displayed" errors when trying to follow the link.

I guess I'm also curious about the linking errors.  My actual root suspicion is that the combination of LVOOP and lvlibp linking is prone to binary corruption.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,836 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Taki1999

Hi Taki1999,

Sorry about the link!  Try this one: My VI Will Not Run Correctly, but No Errors are Reported

Have a great day,

Chris V

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,820 Views)