From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LV Code compatibility between XP and Windows 7

Developed a machine code using LV2009 on a WIN_XP notebook and deployed the EXE successfully. ( PCI 6229 + PCI 6518 hardware )

Now I need to change my notebook and I am forced to switch to Windows 7.

I wonder if  need to watch out for any traps. Hence forth I will be editing and building the EXE on my Windows 7 ( 32 bit ) notebook and I trust it should run seamlessley on the client's machine which will be on WIN_XP for some more months to come.

I already have read the FAQ on WIN_7 in Developer Zone. But please note that this case is not handled there : I am in a situation where the EXE built on a WIN_7 machine has to run on a WIN_XP. 

Thanks 

Raghunathan
LabVIEW to Automate Hydraulic Test rigs.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,801 Views)

As long as you use the 32 Bit version of LabVIEW, there should be no problem. The LabVIEW binary files for Windows 7 32 Bit and Windows XP are exactly the same. The major difference in terms of LabVIEW is the more restrictive nature of Windows 7 which prevents you from doing a lot of things without explicit UAC elevation, even in the administrator account. Once you modified your software to comply with that, it will still run on XP. Just watch out to not use hardwired OS paths. Windows 7 changed a lot of the naming conventions but even in XP the windows or system directory doesn't have to be always the same.

For your settings directory (INI files, etc) use the the according LabVIEW constant.

Message Edited by rolfk on 04-02-2010 07:40 AM
Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,786 Views)

>> As long as you use the 32 Bit version of LabVIEW, there should be no problem.

So what happens if I use the 64 Bit version? am I headed for trouble and do lots of tweaking before I can get it run on a WIN_XP machine ? As per Microsoft, the 64 bit version Win_7 runs the 32 bit applications in a kind of shell like DOS programs under WIN. Not sure on that but eager to know if I can buy a notebook that has WIN_7 Premium 64Bit  OS ??

>> For your settings directory (INI files, etc) use the the according LabVIEW constant.

Could you clarify the above please ? Thanks.

Message Edited by Raghunathan on 03-04-2010 10:31 PM
Raghunathan
LabVIEW to Automate Hydraulic Test rigs.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,760 Views)
I was talking about the LabVIEW version! You can run the 32 Bit version of LabVIEW under 64 Bit Windows. But if you install the 64 Bit version of LabVIEW and create an executable you can only run it on 64 Bit Windows machines, and that means therefore not under your customers XP system.
Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,754 Views)

The use of the registry (reliably) is out with Vista and 7.  There is a trap called Windows Virtualisation.  Must now use application data folders.

Link to more info:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa965884(VS.85).aspx

Message Edited by battler. on 04-03-2010 08:23 PM
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,741 Views)

HI

I have a  problem with the code (Block Diagram), between XP and windows 7. I did  the code in a machine with S.O. XP, and it was doing everything very good but when I pass to windows 7 the code dont open, only show a white page (Block Diagram). Why ?

I need traslate to machine with Windows 7. but Labview 2009 dont operate.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,530 Views)

Hi battler.,

You can also embed a manifest in your application, disabling registry virtualization.

Brad

---
Brad Keryan
NI R&D
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,515 Views)