LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LV 2020 / NXG 5 and AppBuilder of LV2017 for Win7/8 Targets

LV 2020 Readme for Windows indicates that standalone applications built in this version WILL NOT install on Win7/8. It also says the following: "Additionally, after installing LabVIEW 2020, you cannot use any installers built on this computer with ANY VERSION of LabVIEW... on an unsupported OS."

My use case: I have several customer projects for instruments with embedded PCs that are built around Windows 7 Embedded Standard (WES7). I use LV2015 and LV2017 (32-bit) for building software updates for these instruments. My customers have no plans to discontinue field support and updates of these instruments for the foreseeable future.

Question 1: if I install LV2020 (64-bit) on my development PC (running Win10 64-bit), will I lose the ability to use LV2017 on the same PC to build applications for Win7 targets?

Question 2: if I install NXG5 on my development PC (running Win10 64-bit), will I lose the ability to use LV2017 on the same PC to build applications for Win7 targets?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(1,870 Views)

The download page seems to disagree. Windows 7 (SP1+) is still supported:

altenbach_0-1589731747415.png

In general, you can have as many LabVIEW versions as you want installed. I am currently still building executables in 2015 and 2019 versions, depending on the project..

The readme states that: "LabVIEW will drop support for Windows 7 (32- and 64-bit), Windows Server 2008 R2, and all 32-bit Windows operating systems starting in 2021. Versions of this product that ship after May 1, 2021, may not install or execute correctly on these operating systems. For detailed information about NI operating system support, visit ni.com/r/win32bitsupport."

This is standard boilerplate legalese and is mostly due to the end of support for these operating systems by Microsoft. Most likely, things will continue to work, but they will no longer test to guarantee it. You'll be on your own.

You are also leaving out the full definition of an "unsupported OS". Currently unsupported are:

"In 2016 LabVIEW dropped support for Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, and installations of Windows 7 without any service packs."

Virtually all windows 7 installations have service packs applied, so they will continue to be supported.

What kind of drivers, modules, and toolkits are you using? It is important to check those for compatibility.

NXG5 is a completely different product.

Message 2 of 4
(1,838 Views)

Christian, thanks for your comment! What made me confused was formatting of LV2020 requirements table found here: http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/374715n.html#requirements.

Yes, it looks like LV2020 is supported on Win7-SP1 with MS update (KB3033929), but I still feel uneasy about the following statement from the same web page: "Additionally, after installing LabVIEW 2020, you cannot use any installers built on this computer with any version of LabVIEW... on an unsupported OS". The way I read it, LV2020 installation alters something about application builders of earlier versions. I am sure that all PCs of my Win7 and WES7 customers have SP1 installed, but I am also sure that among those PCs, many do not have the MS patch referred to in KB3033929 (released 2015 I guess). The way I read it, after installing LV2020, I will not be able to build installers in LV2017 for distribution to Win7 SP1 targets that do not have KB3033929 patch installed.

While NXG5 is a separate product, its Readme mentions the same requirements for target PCs, which makes me think that it could mess up installers of pre-2020 legacy LV in the same way as LV2020.

The bottom line is that if I want to try LV2020 / NXG5 at all, I should install them in a virtual machine. That is unless you or someone else proves that app builders of LV13, 15 and 17 are not affected by LV20 at all in supporting targets with Win7 SP1 without KB3033929 patch.

Thanks again,

Sergey

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,805 Views)

Seems that caveat has been around since LV 2017.  I wonder if the appearance of NI Package Manager at the same time was coincidental.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,761 Views)