From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LV 2015 not responding while saving

Hi,

I have a fairly big LV project that I've been working on since  LV8.5, recently upgraded to LV2014 and now LV2015. I had no issues in LV2014 but in LV2015 the application freezes (not responding) for about 5-7 seconds every time I try to save a VI after it's contents has been changed. If I just move some block diagram elements around a bit everything saves at normal speed, but if I change a constant slightly, for instance, I have to wait 10 seconds for it to save. This is the case on several computers. Any troubleshooting tips? It's a rather big issue and I'll have to downgrade if it's not solved...

Casper

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(4,178 Views)

Did you mass compile all your VIs in 2015 when you moved from 2014?

-----

The best solution is the one you find it by yourself
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(4,162 Views)

Hi Casper, 

Optimizations were made at the time of LabVIEW 2009 to help speed run-time performance, however this was at the expense of compile time and memory usage during compile.  In most cases these changes are negligible and the users will not notice the difference.  However, National Instruments has seen that some very large VIs exhibit a degradation in these areas that can make usability quite difficult, either because the application runs out of memory during compile or VI save time (due to a compile) is painfully long.

If you are experiencing extended save times there are a few things you can look into to try and hopefully resolve this issue. 

The first link below discusses the optimizations made in 2009 how that effects save time. The second link has instructions on how to disable these optimizations so that you can save a large VI without the long save times. Please let me know if you have questions about how to disable the optimizations or if disabling them still leaves you with long save times.

LabVIEW Compiler Memory Usage and Performance
http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/BA4B9038D01F3C99862577CA004BE1AD?OpenDocument

How do I Change the Compiler Settings in LabVIEW 2010 SP1?
http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/3A28C7098620AFD78625783400763C69?OpenDocument

It may also be of help to look into the following article if you are using a large number of sub-VIs within the VI you are trying to save: 
http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/E43B32C14030C3B686256C1E0044D9B6

Hope this is of some help, let me know how you get on! 

Rebecca
National Instruments Applications Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(4,078 Views)

Two notes on Compilation Times in LabVIEW 2015.  I just installed the OpenG libraries, which do several Mass Compiles that I recall took maybe 10-15 minutes several years ago.  They still take time (probably a few thousand VIs to compile), but it was only a few minutes, seemed significantly faster.  I also compiled a modest-sized LabVIEW RT Project (about 400 VIs on Host, about the same number on PXI Target), speed seemed comparable to LabVIEW 2012 and 2014.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(4,039 Views)
Uhhh, how big is"fairly big" exactly?

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(4,012 Views)

P@Anand: Yes, I did the mass compile. It made no difference.

NIRebecca: I tried limiting the compiler optimization (Set to 0 in Options), also with no effect. Also, as I understand these were introduced in LV2009, but I had no issues with LV2014. It is moving to LV2015 that is a problem. I will look through the links though, thanks for those.

mikeporter: Not really sure how to best quantify it, but an export of the project and is about 7MB with 100 files excluding OpenG libraries. The main/largest VI is 2MB.

I've downgraded to 2014 for now which works just fine although I would like to upgrade. I can add that, in LV2015, when saving it (sometimes) does the thing with putting a different Labview window on top than the one you started with. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(3,962 Views)

Hello cbudtz,

I am not seeing any specific delays with saving on my system. Do you have a project/source that exhibits this behavior that we can troubleshoott? 

Wear
National Instruments
Product Support Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(3,921 Views)

I found the culprit. An old library I used to create popup menu's called "PupUp Menu.llb". I suppose it's a bit of a relic anyhow so I should probably find a better solution for creating those pop ups in any case. After I deleted it from the VI saving went from 10 secs to under 1 sec, faster than LV2014 as well. I've attached the llb in case anyone wants to find out what the problem is.

If anyone has a suggestion how to do this more elegantly please let me know. What it does is create a popup menu at the cursor position, similar to the context menu. 

Thanks for your suggestions!

Casper.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(3,872 Views)

Could it be that Mass Compile doesn't touch VI's inside LLBs? Can you open the LLB ones and resave?

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(3,831 Views)

After some more digging I found out that it is caused by the Function call to "DestroyMenu" in user32.dll:

destroymenu.png

If I delete this paricular call the save time of the entire VI drops from 10 to 1 second. Any ideas what the reason could be? 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(3,829 Views)