From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[LAVA Cross Post] CTRL+SHIFT+Alpha Shortcuts don't work in LabVIEW

Solved!
Go to solution

Cross-post from LAVA: http://lavag.org/topic/15619-ctrlshift-shortcuts-sometimes-not-working-in-labview/

Bug Synopsis: CTRL+SHIFT+Alpha shortcuts do not work in LabVIEW. Most notably, CTRL+SHIFT+Z, CTRL+SHIFT+E, and CTRL+SHIFT+S

Test setup: LV2012 32bit with f1 patch running in Win7 64bit inside a Parallels 8 VM in OS X 10.8.1

To summarize the testing I have tried:

• Many different LabVIEW, Guest OS, and Host OS combinations all fail, including:
    • LV2012f1 32 and 64 bit, and LV2009 32 bit
    • Win7 32 and 64bit, and also WinXP x64
    • Parallels 7 and Parallels 8
    • OS X 10.7 and 10.8
  • Capturing the keyboard by the VM
  • Twiddling every keyboard setting possible on Parallels, Guest, and Host
  • Reinstalling keyboard drivers
  • Plugging in a known-good keyboard that works on a native Windows machine
  • Deleting LabVIEW.ini and letting it regenerate
  • Remapping the shortcuts from, e.g., CTRL+SHIFT+E to CTRL+E - in this case, "Show in Project" works, so this might indicate it's a problem registering the shortcut press, not invoking the action itself.
  • Sending the keystrokes via on-screen keyboards from both Guest and Host
  • Sending the keystrokes via SendInput from user32.dll WinAPI
  • Testing every imaginable combo of FN, CONTROL, ALT/OPTION, COMMAND/CMD, SHIFT
  • Reinstalling VMs from scratch and reinstalling LV
  • Here's a kicker: CTRL+SHIFT+Alpha shortcuts work fine on other Windows programs (I've tried 4 different programs, including Chrome, Notepad++, Paint.NET), yet it does NOT work for VIPM with CTRL+SHIFT+C. This means that the only two programs where the CTRL+SHIFT+Alpha bugs exist are both LabVIEW-related.
  • Here's another kicker: It's only CTRL+SHIFT+Alpha shortcuts with the prob - CTRL+SHIFT+3 properly toggles grid alignment, and the "Tools >> Options >> Menu shortcuts" will register any CTRL+SHIFT+Non-alpha shortcut; it just does not respond to the CTRL+SHIFT+Alpha shortcuts.

Any new troubleshooting ideas are highly appreciated; please feel free to jump in here or on LAVA.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(6,178 Views)

Tried creating a fresh Win7 VM using VirtualBox rather than Parallels, and the CTRL+SHIFT+Alpha shortcuts work just fine. Perhaps this indicates a Parallels-LabVIEW incompatabilty?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(6,163 Views)

I have begun a support thread in the Parallels forum also: http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?p=639396#post639396

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(6,151 Views)

Still well and alive in Parallels 9 and LabVIEW 2013 SP1. Of course I could upgrade to the latest versions to check whether things have gotten any better.

Any news on that?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(5,631 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author JackDunaway

@X. wrote:

Still well and alive in Parallels 9 and LabVIEW 2013 SP1. Of course I could upgrade to the latest versions to check whether things have gotten any better.

Any news on that?

@Mellroth figured out the solution 🙂

Message 5 of 6
(5,596 Views)

Great. I had checked the thread but couldn't make sense from the answer.

Thanks for the detailed walk-through. That solved the issue.

What baffles me is who flagged your post as an answer before I had a chance to...

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(5,574 Views)