LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KEITHLEY 2400 code problem

Hello

I am trying to acquire data from keithley 2400 using labview 9, NI VISA 4.5.1,  and serial RS 232 interface.

I used the attached "Keithley 24XX Read Single.vi"  ( obtained from NI certified drivers )   and got this message-

Error -1073807346

occurred at VISA Write in Keithley 24XX.lvlib:Error Query.vi->Keithley 24XX.lvlib:Configure Measurement.vi->Keithley 24XX Read Single.vi

The keithley meter indicated "REM", as soon as VI was run, which means "Remote" operation and froze up.

Under MAX, i can see COM1  and device status is "Device is working properly"

Kindly  help in debugging

1. Should i use GPIB?  Are the drivers good for serial interface? I used the  first NI certified driver indicating serial/GPIB compatibility.

2.Is keithley meter being recognized by MAX?

3. Any errors in the codes?

Regards

poli

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 23
(7,585 Views)

Did you actually select the port from the VISA Resource Name pulldown? Have you tried communicating to it in MAX. A simple *IDN? query should be enough.

No serial instrument is ever detected by MAX. The only thing detected is the ports on the pc. The 'Device is working properly' refers to the com port and nothing else.

Message 2 of 23
(7,571 Views)

Thanks for your response!

I did select "COM1"  from the VISA resource name pulldown menu  in the vi .

I tested the attached vi, to do a simple write  and  read.

I got the following error as soon as  the VI was run,

Error -1073807246 occurred at Property Node (arg 1) in VISA Configure Serial Port (Instr).vi->Basic Serial Write and Read.vi

Possible reason(s):

VISA:  (Hex 0xBFFF0072) The resource is valid, but VISA cannot currently access it.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 23
(7,559 Views)

Do you have some other program open at the same time trying to access that com port?  That is the usual reason you would get that error message.

Message 4 of 23
(7,554 Views)

you  guys are amazing!

I switched off all other vi and tested the "Basic serial read and write.vi". It worked fine.

So the first step regarding MAX communication  is ok.

Now, i tested the attached "Read (Single Point).vi and it showed the following error, after some time.

code = -1073807339

VISA Read in Keithley 24XX.lvlib:Error Query.vi->Keithley 24XX.lvlib:Read (Single Point).vi

If i get this to work, that will solve the problem.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 23
(7,546 Views)

I also see the keithley meter showing error-113   which means "undefined header".

On  p 460, appendix B8 of the  manual at this website ,  www.keithley.com/data?asset=887

it says this  error code means

"This error indicates that the command you sent to the instrument did not contain a recognizable

command name."

which means there are missing spaces etc.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 23
(7,542 Views)

Make sure that all parameters of the COM port match the instrument setup, such as Baud Rate, Parity, Data Bits, Stop Bit.  This sounds like either a baud rate or parity mistmatch.  If you use GPIB, you won't have to worry about these parameters.

- tbob

Inventor of the WORM Global
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 23
(7,509 Views)

The baud rate, parity , flow control, data bits, stop bits all match up.

I am wondering what is wrong.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 23
(7,504 Views)

Try sending a simple command like *IDN? to see if the instrument respons to that.  It should return its ID.  Or try *RST to see if it will reset the instrument.  If none of these work, you have a COM problem.  You would need a COM port sniffer to see what is being transmitted.  If you can switch to GPIB, do that instead.

- tbob

Inventor of the WORM Global
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 23
(7,499 Views)

I already tested

"Basic Serial Write and Read.vi"

as discussed above and instrument responded saying "Keithley instrument version.... etc".

When i do any measurenment, the meter freezes.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 23
(7,492 Views)