LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JKI VI Package Builder Bugs

Hello,

I would like to share with you with some weird behavior that VI Package Builder presents. I found 2 bugs (probably related to each other).

First Bug

VI Package Builder allows configuring package files destination. In Destinations pane you can see built-in destinations, which can be altered to suits your needs.

1.png

As you can see QuickDrop Plugins destination name cannot be altered because it is built-in.

2.png

I can add my own destination and then customize it as I like. However, when my custom destination name starts with the name of one of the built-in destinations, then the bug reveals.

3.png

In the custom destination, the name cannot be changed and it is now magically linked with the built-in destination. So if I change the subdirectory in my custom destination, the built-in will change as well. I'm afraid it is not a feature.

Check this behavior with The Tool - 1.vipb file.

PS: Use regular expressions with care 🙂

Second Bug

VI Package Builder Test.lvproj contains files which mimic QuickDrop files (these are empty files, placeholders). The Tool - 2.vipb file should install this QuickDrop. Desired files location after installation should look like this:

C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2017\resource\dialog\QuickDrop\plugins\Tool.vi - Main QuickDrop VI

C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2017\resource\dialog\QuickDrop\plugins\_The Tool\Tool Support 1.vi - Support file

C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2017\resource\dialog\QuickDrop\plugins\_The Tool\Tool Support 2.vi - Support file

C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2017\resource\dialog\QuickDrop\plugins\_The Tool\Tool Support 3.vi - Support file

The configuration is as follows:

4.png

Package Source use MyCustomDestination (MCD) which is C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2017\resource\dialog\QuickDrop\plugins\_The Tool. Tool Support use parent folder destination which is MCD. Tool.vi destination is built-in QuickDrop Plugins destination which is C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2017\resource\dialog\QuickDrop\plugins.

Installation effect is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2017\resource\dialog\QuickDrop\plugins\_The Tool\Tool.vi

Clearly not what I need and what VIPB configuration states.

Michał Bieńkowski
CLA, CTA

Someone devote his time to help solve your problem? Appreciate it and give kudos. Problem solved? Accept as a solution so that others can find it faster in the future.
Make a contribution to the development of TestStand - vote on TestStand Idea Exchange.
Message 1 of 2
(1,966 Views)

Hi @bienieck,

Thanks for pointing out that unexpected behavior. It's good to be aware of on our end! However, because VI Package Manager is made by JKI and not by NI directly, these bug reports will probably get a more helpful response if shared on the JKI VIPM forums.

Thanks again for your diligence in sharing these!

Lindsey Nestor
Program Manager, Hardware Services
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(1,880 Views)