LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with (Strict )TypeDef TabControl LabVIEW 2017

Hi

I use LabVIEW 2017.0f2 and have been observing an unexpected behaviour with tab controls which are Strictly or simply type defined. I don't remember seeing this in any previous version of LabVIEW that I used.

I would like to understand if its expected behaviour or a bug. Following are the steps to reproduce, in detail:

1. For a normal tab control (modern or classic or system) which is not type defined:

Add a tab control on the FP, place some objects on Page 1 and Page 2.

Go to Page 1, add a new Page after. This would be Page 3 by default and it would be empty.

Order of pages is: Page 1, Page 3 and Page 2.

Objects placed earlier on pages 1 and 2 will remain on their respective pages. Place some objects on Page 3.

2.  Right click on the above tab control and save it as a type defined control. Replace the original tab with the type defined tab.

Open the type defined control file. Add a Page after Page 1.

Save and close the file

Go to the FP where this type defined tab control is called.

Order of pages is: Page 1, Page 4, Page 3 and Page 2. All this is fine.

I see that objects of Page 3 move into Page 4, Objects on Page 2 move into Page 3 and now Page 2 is empty

Why is it so?

I would expect the tab pages to retain their objects as each tab has a unique value. I have arranged and aligned all the objects on the pages and now I have to manually move objects onto the correct pages.

In my case, the tab pages also have distinctive names and there should be no reason why the objects from page Test Execution, for example, are moved into Test Configuration just because I added a new page in between!

Regards
Freelance_LV
TestAutomation Consultant
Message 1 of 3
(2,126 Views)

Hopefully this 4 page epic novel will help answer some of your typdef'd tab control questions.  🙂

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,086 Views)

Hi billko

Thank you very much for linking to a very interesting post.

There was a mention in there that tab controls are like Rings and not Enums.

What I do not yet understand is that change in behaviour of tab control when it is type defined to what it was when not type defined.

Do you also see the same behaviour as I see in LV2017?

Regards
Freelance_LV
TestAutomation Consultant
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,068 Views)