From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues connecting to DMI

Hello everyone,

I am trying to use LabVIEW to work with a 32 channel DMI for some fiber optic strain sensing, but I cannot seem to get LabVIEW to recognize my instrument. Any suggestions? It is connected through RS232 ports in both the DMI and the computer through a serial port.

Thanks a bunch!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,073 Views)

It's impossible to say what your problem is without some additional information.

• Can you communicate with it using NI MAX or a serial terminal program?
  • Do you have LabVIEW drivers for the DMI or some example code you can post?
  • Could you elaborate on what you mean by LabVIEW not recognizing it?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,064 Views)

Hi so to follow up to your questions:

1. I cannot find the DMI in the NI Max "Devices and Interfaces" section however I have been able to communicate with the instrument through a non-NI program.

2. I cannot seem to find any sort of driver for a DMI. It is a Fiso Tech brand DMI system.

3. As stated in part 1 the NI max cannot seem to recognize the instrument.

Hope this clears up some of my questions

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,053 Views)
NI MAX will not automatically recognize serial instruments. However, you can verify communication by selecting the COM port your device is connected to and opening a VISA test panel. Make sure all of the settings are correct (baud rate, termination characters, etc.) and then see if you can send and receive commands. You should be able to get a list of commands from the device manufacturer if you do not have it already. These links provide some more information on setting up communication and creating your own instrument drivers. There are also LabVIEW examples available for communicating with serial devices under Help -> Find Examples -> Search for "serial". http://www.ni.com/tutorial/2897/en/ http://www.ni.com/tutorial/3271/en/
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,041 Views)