Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with Report Generation toolkit

Hi all!


I'm encountering an issue with the report generation toolkit. As a lot of users, it works well during debug phase, but crashed when builded. I followed the differents advised (always include NI_Excel.lvclass in the build), but I still face this **** error 7....

I created a dummy project to try to fix this, but I'm still stuck...


Does someone see anything wrong in my application?


Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7

Error 7 is file not found.  Are you using an excel template?

If you build path at runtime, please note that VI path changes after built into exe.  The exe acts like a folder.

For example,

before build: C:\myproject folder\my

after build:  C:\myproject folder\myApp.exe\my



George Zou
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7

I regret to inform you that This is Real.  I need to go to an "old" machine (hmm, I'm not sure where to find one, may take me a day or three) and see if I can run my 2014 (I think) Excel Demo that built a nice Excel Report, with graphs, tables, etc., and then saved it to Excel.  Except when I run it, it makes a "stupid error" in building the File Name.  I do not include the Report class information -- that hadn't been needed for years, and I don't think it's needed now.  What seems to be happening is that it is getting one of the File aliases wrong.  I've got to run, now, as I'm not-quite-late for a meeting, but I'll try to explore this more when I can.


Bob Schor


P.S. -- as I am running out the door, I think I may know the problem.  A little too complex to explain in a sentence, but should be quick to check with another routine that I know works from a build in LabVIEW 2019, but have not tried it with LabVIEW 2021.  May have an answer today (he said, optimistically) ...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7

Sigh.  I had all these good ideas, which were all wrong.  Here's the fix -- do not use the generic "Append Report" or "Append Table" or "Append List" or ... .  Instead, use the "Excel Specific" versions, in this case, "Excel Easy Text".  Also, do not put classes from vi.lib in your Project.


I made a few other minor changes, including accepting the defaults for Create Report, and making the File Name use the Desktop of the current User, and append the correct extension just for the sake of it.  I also changed the naming of the Executable to match the Project (which I also renamed, slightly).  I'm attaching a LabVIEW 2021 version, same (I think) as you were using.


Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7

Hi Bob,


Thank you for your answer. What version of LabVIEW are you using? I cannot open the files. Anyway, I will try to implement the changes you mentionned and see if I can bring my app to a stable state.



0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7

Sorry, I thought I was using LabVIEW 2021 (SP1), which I thought was the version you were using.  I'll save it for LabVIEW 2019 and repost.


Bob Schor


P.S. -- I attached it, ran the Build, and it worked perfectly.


P.P.S -- I'm also running 32-bit LabVIEW, not 64-bit, but that shouldn't matter with source LabVIEW code (unless I missed something ...).

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7

Hi Bob,


Thank you for your answer. Unfortunately, my issue comes from the first VI (Create So using the excel specific VIs doesn't help to solve this.

Anyway, I switched to ActiveX and I'm now able to do what I want, even if the app is build 🙂


Still, thanks for your help on this topic!



0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7