LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue Starting LabVIEW 2017 after Installing SP1

I have a BIG problem with the latest 2017 SP1 install. It takes almost a minute for LabVIEW to startup. After double clicking the icon, nothing is apparent that LabVIEW is starting up. After 50 or so seconds, the Splash Screen appears. Has any one else have this problem?? I haven't seen anything in this forum.

Here are the details. I've repeated these cases several times and on different computers. Times are repeatable. I used a stopwatch so I am not exaggerating.

Case 1:
Computer connected to the local network
Network is offline from the web
49 to 57 seconds for the spalsh screen to appear!!!

Case 2:
Computer completely off line
Removed Cat6 cable from computer's RJ45 jack
Almost immediate (<5 seconds)

Case 3:
Computer connected to the local network
Local Network connected to the world wide web
Almost immediate (<5 seconds)

Case 2 & 3 work normally where the computer is either completly connected or completely disconnected. But Case 1???

Most of my systems are installed in standalone racks, connected to a local LAN which is typically not tied to the WWW. What is LabVIEW trying to do? Why, or to whom is it trying to communcate with? What service is it trying to start and locking up the startup process? How do I disable that service (that I probably DON'T NEED)?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,691 Views)

Could it be trying to "phone home" and complete Activation/Licensing?  Or LabVIEW Update?

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,663 Views)

wrote:

Could it be trying to "phone home" and complete Activation/Licensing?  Or LabVIEW Update?

Bob Schor

Yes. All my products and add ons are activated and the LEDs are all green in the License Manager. Just in case it was still in the middle of contacting NI, I left it connected to the web overnight without any success. I also don't think it is the Update Service. I have the preferences set to disable Periodic Checking". I manually checked and the Update service shows that no updates available.

I agree that SP1 is "phoning home" for some nefarious reason. I wish there was some way to disable it. I tried disabling some of the NI services without any success. Good news is that the executables run without delay, it's just the development system that takes forever to load. My workaround is to start LabVIEW first thing in the morning, and then go get a cup of coffee.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,647 Views)

It used to be that the LabVIEW News update at the bottom of the page did stuff like that.  I wonder if it's still doing that?  To shut it down:

disable updates.PNG

Unfortunately this doesn't explain why it happened only after upgrading to SP1.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 4 of 5
(2,644 Views)

I agree that SP1 is "phoning home" for some nefarious reason.

It's a bit difficult to agree when you're the only one suggesting it's nefarious 😛 Instead of throwing out silly accusations, I'm curious about some things:

How are you licensed?  VLM? 

Have you tried opening LV in more than one way?  With the icon, from a VI, from a project?  Do they all behave the same?

Did you manage to keep the old version installed?  If so, does this version show the same behavior?

Do you run any source code control?

Do you run VISA or have any toolkits not activated?  If so, take a look at: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/2AF8076A2C252157862570D2006E40D2

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,634 Views)