From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to interface Labview Web GUI with Fusion Charts?

Is there a way to interface Labview Web GUI with Fusion Charts for dynamic web presentation?

http://www.fusioncharts.com/

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,556 Views)

Just to clarify a few things, when you say Web GUI do you mean the WebUI Builder? To my knowledge the WebUI Builder does not currently have a way to interface with Fusion Charts. Is there a particular reason you want to use Fusion Charts instead of the charting features we offer in the WebUI Builder?

Also, we have a discussion forum specifically for WebUI questions. If you post here, you may receive faster responses.

Stephanie A.
Americas Marketing Manager
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,534 Views)

Yes, I was talking about Web GUI builder, and I will check out the forum. 

The charting has a more dynamic look because it is Flash based (HTML5 supported).  Just curious because something like Fusion Charts takes XML as an input.  And even your website claims: 

Can applications created using LabVIEW Web UI Builder applications communicate with non-LabVIEW web services?

Yes, LabVIEW Web UI Builder can communicate with both LabVIEW and non-LabVIEW web services. However, for web services created in LabVIEW 2009 and later, LabVIEW Web UI Builder will automatically script the subVIs required to communicate with the web services, saving a great deal of development time and effort. With non-LabVIEW web services, the user must implement the low-level HTTP and XML programming required to call the web service and parse the XML response.

That's why I was thinking there could be an interface for these two.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,527 Views)

Hi jimctr,

What that entry in the FAQ means is that the software you create with Web UI Builder can talk via HTTP to any type of web service. It doesn't mean that you can import third-party controls into Web UI Builder to include in your application. 

When you say that the Fusion Charts have a "more dynamic look," can you clarify? Do you mean that they have more available "skins" to choose from than the ones in Web UI Builder?

Regards,

Mike Neal

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,522 Views)

Yes, have a look at the numerous examples they provide on their website.  I didn't think you would you import anything into UI Builder,  but I was thinking you would be building the User Interface in UI Builder which could then be used to generate XML data which could then serve as input to something like Fusion Charts.   I know this program is fairly new.  I don't see tables you can generate from UI builder, only Arrays.  So something like fusion charts would give this a more complete look.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,512 Views)

Hi jimctr,

I've been looking at their controls and they're very impressive. As far as what you're trying to accomplish, I suspect what you really need to do is create a web service with LabVIEW 2009 or 2010. This is basically a VI in LabVIEW that an HTML application (which could include a Fusion Charts control) could call via HTTP and it would return XML. 

Here are some resources on LabVIEW web services:

Web Services in LabVIEW (Whitepaper)

Deploying VIs as Web Services in LabVIEW

Regards,

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,507 Views)

Yes, but would each client then need to install the massive Labivew Run-Time Engine on their respective computers to run it?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,504 Views)

Hi jimctr,

No, only the device that acts as the server (i.e. it hosts the web services) needs the LabVIEW RTE. The clients would run a Flash application that uses the Fusion Charts controls.

Maybe it would be helpful to take a step back and ask what you're trying to achieve. Can you describe the kind of system you're trying to put together?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,502 Views)

I have a ballistics program which our clients can use (see attached).  Basically there is a series of Cascading Combo boxes that the user must select for Bullet Manufacturer, Caliber, and Bullet ID.  The program then goes out to the relevant data file (.CSV) and provides ballistic inputs for the selected projectile.  The user is also required to enter in additional data, such as Sight Height, LOS Range, Temp, etc..  Once all data is input, the user either hits the Calculate Button or the Tab (I'm using Event Structures and I now realize this is an issue for Web UI Builder), and the data gets passed to a MathScript which then crunches numbers and spits output to fill a table and a series of Graphs based upon the tablulated data (if so desired).

I was hoping to use Labivew for the first two parts ( Data Collection and Number Crunching) and use something like Fusion Charts for the presentation.  I tried learning Ruby on Rails.  I was successful with the Ruby part (basically the Mathscript portion) but really got hung up on the Rails section and the need for something like JSON to interface with it.  Could not find a useful source of information which really showed you how to combine the two effectively. 

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,499 Views)

So,  I watched the Web Service video which provided a good Overview. But my mind is still clouded on how to proceed.  As I described, providing data in this app is a multistep process (via the cascading combo box method). 

Steps:

1) Select manufacturer data from first combo box and send it.

2) Data from the first combo box is used to select a file (CSV) - where are these files maintained?  Caliber data from selected file returned to client.

3) User then selects caliber data from the second combobox and that is sent out.   This data then goes to file selected by #1, to Caliber value selected by #2 in our CSV file and returns all pertinent description data relating to those items with the same caliber.

4)User Selects Description on Combobox #3 and this is sent out.  All pertinent data is then returned to user from CSV file and the user is then required to enter additional information, which he then submits with calculate button.

5)Data is then returned to user in array form.

This is an issue I assume if I am using either Labview Web UI Builder or simply a Web Service with some other interface.  Examples provided only demonstrate a single exchange:  User Enters Data, does a Post or Get, and then data is returned in XML format.

I assume if I do not use Labview Web UI Builder, I would have to use something like Flex for form interface or ESP Scripts (do these provide form objects?) if I want to be more Server Side oriented.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,477 Views)