LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to switch between threads when debug->pause?

Hello,

in Visual Studio (e.g. 2008) Professional, you have the possibility to halt debugging and then see which Threads are currently running (now stopped)

and you can switch between these threads (context switch), so you can see the current data in this thread, set breakpoints ...

In LabView you can also create multiple threads by creating e.g. multiple parallel while-loops.

If you halt debugger, it shows you at which point the execution was haltetd (e.g. in WhileLoop2 at point x).

Is it possible now, to see where the other while loops are currently stopped?

Thanks

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Eugen Wiebe
Bernstein AG
CLAD - Certified LabView Associate Developer
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,021 Views)

Turn highlighting on.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,007 Views)

Hello,

Highlighting would only help, if you go on / continue to run the vi.

But what, if the other thread is running in an SUB-VI of SUB-VI?

OK, I see special Arrow on the SUB-VI, but when I go into SUB-VI, I cant see in which SUB-VI (if there are more than one) the other thread is running.

I want to see all current (stopped) Threads in one list, like here in VisualStudio : Link

Thanks.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Eugen Wiebe
Bernstein AG
CLAD - Certified LabView Associate Developer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(1,999 Views)

I'm familiar with Visual Studio since I use it quite often. You would need to turn highlight on for the subVIs as well to see where the code is. If you're dealing with reentrant VIs, then you're dealing with something else. You have to make sure you enable debugging for reentrant VIs in order to be able to use highlight mode (the LabVIEW Help explains this).

Unfortunately, that's all that you have available in LabVIEW. There was an idea posted to have the hierarchy display the state of VIs so you could quickly find where the code was running.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(1,997 Views)

If you need to start and stop you can also use the breakpoints along with the highlight operation. You can set break point the program will stop you can turn on highlight and then continue.

Tim
GHSP
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,990 Views)