From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to receive data via RJ-45 like how data is received via RS-232?

Hi Guys, some more questions to ask because i am very lost again...

I have successfully done up the part whereby i have to use RS-232 to receive data, filter them and only plot the correct data i need to the graph and spreadsheet without problem...

But now i need to receive data from yet another source and it is possibly through RJ-45... is it possible for RJ-45 to receive data much like how RS-232 receive the data? If it is possible how can i do it? thank you very much.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 35
(2,725 Views)
You are comparing apples to oranges. An RJ-45 is a physical description of a connector type and not a description of the electrical characteristics. An RJ-45 physical connector can be used for telephony, ethernet, RS-232, or anything else where you want to have a small modular connector to connect from one place to another. RS-232 on the other hand, is an electrical specification. The electrical specification does not define the physical interface and vice versa. You can RS-232 physical interfaces with DB and RJ type connectors and any other type of connector that has enough pins to accomodate it. In other words, your question is kind of without meaning. You need to know what the electrical interface of the other source is.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 35
(2,721 Views)
sorry for not making myself clear Smiley Sad

what i mean was, I have to retain the RS-232 read on my one and only COM port on the computer as now i have to receive 2 set of data from 2 computer, as explained with my previous thread, PC A will receive data via RS-232 from PC B, but now i have a PC C that is also going to send me data via RJ-45 connector, which i have no idea what sort of implementation should i do...

So my question is, using the ethernet port on PC A and PC C, am i able to receive / send data like how i do with my RS-232?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 35
(2,715 Views)

Lets forget about the physical connectors, okay? You want to know whether two computers can communicate over an Ethernet connection? Yes, computers do that all of the time (like right now). Smiley Wink

If you don't go through a switch/hub, then all that you need is a cross-over cable. The functions in LabVIEW that you want to look at are the TCP/IP ones. There are several shipping examples. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 35
(2,712 Views)
sorry is there any easier example? those that i saw are very very messy and complex for me to understand 😞Smiley Indifferent
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 35
(2,709 Views)
I'm not sure I understand the scope of your application, but you might take a look at the Network Shared Variables.... just about the easiest way to do network communications with LabVIEW.  Read this white paper to get started:  http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/4679

Message Edited by StevenA on 05-15-2008 09:49 PM
SteveA
CLD

-------------------------------------
FPGA/RT/PDA/TP/DSC
-------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 35
(2,706 Views)
I don't think there is anything much simpler than the simple data client and simple data server examples and I don't think they are messy at all. Run those (they can be on same pc), use your probe tool and/or execution highlighting, read the comments in the file, and the help for the tcp/ip functions that are used. Post back with a specific question if you have a problem. Of course, some of this assumes a basic understanding of networking. You might want to start at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 35
(2,701 Views)
thanks for all the replies, will look into it myself first, will revert back if i face any problems~

in anycase... since my computer only has 1 RS-232 COM port... and i saw those USB to RS-232 device selling online, can labview use those as RS-232 input as well?
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 35
(2,690 Views)
Sure, though not all USB-RS-232 converters are created equal. Some work better than others. I don't remember the brand I use at work right now. NI sells converters that are high quality and of course will work very well. You could search for 'USB RS232 converter' to see a couple of threads that discuss some of the issues with different brands. Most can be made to work, though.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 35
(2,687 Views)
great! if i can use the USB to serial convertor then it will definitely be easier for me to work with as i am quite familiar with serial by now 🙂

where can i get the convertor made by NI? can't seems to find it on this website... thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 35
(2,684 Views)