LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to add an item to a FPGA I/O Node after compilation?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

In short, I have a set number of captor on a physical structure, which are regrouped in a FPGA I/O Node in my VI. A website is communicating by websocket to my VI, and a user can change some configuration. In  the future, more captors will need to be added or removed.

Will it be possible for the user to add/remove a captor from the website? Right now I don't see a solution that doesn't requires the user to open the VI, manually add the captor, than recompile. Can a FPGA I/O Node change size after compilation?

Thank you very much

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,250 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author JacobFontaine

Hi Jacob,

you cannot change the FPGA VI code without recompiling…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,216 Views)

Thank you for your anwser.

Generally speaking, is there anything that can be dynamically changed at runtime? Like having a generic I/O item transform to a user-generated one?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,209 Views)

What does "captor" mean in your first message?

And what do you mean by "generic I/O item" vs. "user-generated"?

What you need to do is make your FPGA code read as many channels as you ever expect to read.  So 8 spots, if you have an 8-channel module.  Then dynamically you can decide how many of those 8 you want to use.  So if you choose 3, then you work with the data from those 3 and just ignore the data from the remaining 5.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,197 Views)

The new Ultrascale based FlexRIO have dynamic IO source and destination are designated and then assigned at runtime.

Otherwise things can be done to give the impression that things are dynamic but as the above comments state FPGAs are generally not dynamic. 

Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified Professional Instructor
ALE Consultants

Introduction to LabVIEW FPGA for RF, Radar, and Electronic Warfare Applications
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,190 Views)

That's what i thought. My problem was that my project was suppose to be usable for multiple users, whom can have a different number of accelerator (the i/o nodes in my case) depending on the situation. But I'll just create the maximum number of channels, and then dynamically decide how many to use depending on the specific user.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,149 Views)