LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible for a saved path to open a folder where the user can select the file to open?

I would like to retieve a link via database that would open a folder of drawings, word documents, pdf files, excel files etc., where the user can select which file they want. Selected files would open in which ever format they were with programs that are already installed on the users computer. For example, the link would open a folder where several solid works files were, and a couple of Word documents. The user would select one of the Solid Works files, and it would open up in the Solid Works installation on the users computer. Is this possible, or must a link point directly to a file?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,356 Views)

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "link". Are you referring to a URL that uses a "file://" protocol?

The standard File Dialog VI has a "start path" input that you can set so the file dialog opens to that folder.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,351 Views)

What I mean by a link is a network location. Example: "X:\Engineering\ECNs\". I use the exact file all the time to retrieve documents, but I would like to know if I can just open the folder, and let the user select which file they want. The file type could be varied, but the user would have the opening program installed on their machine.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,347 Views)
Excellent! I think the file dialog may do it. It will take me an hour or two to test it as I have been called away.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,346 Views)