LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is creating multiple indicators on a front panel the best way to go?

I have a control panel with over 40 buttons that I would like to create a labview test

for that will display which button is pressed.

Would this be easiest to create a front panel with individual indicators for each or

is there a simpler/ more efficient way to do this so that the front panel gives a visual

indication of the actual button pressed and its location?

Because the control panel is a serial RS232 line but was designed for use with a certain

assembly, I wish to simplify this so I do not need to include as much hardware and have

decided to use and arduino to  communicate to the control panel and hen use labview to

communicate to the arduino via the USB port on the PC.

Also, any thoughts on how to best parse the data from the arduino to enable the indicator on the front panel

is appreciated.

thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(2,862 Views)

You need to provide more information. For example, how are the buttons arranged? If they're in a grid, you might be able to use an array instead of individual buttons. If the buttons are distributed unevenly and you want a front panel that reflects the physical position of the buttons, then you'll need individual indicators (which could be wrapped in an enormous cluster, if for some reason that's more convenient). If you just need to convey information about which button is pressed, you could use a single string indicator and change the text.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(2,833 Views)

My first thought was just having a string indicator instead of the large number of indicators.  I would probably also have a large string indicator to show a log of the states that you recieved.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17
(2,821 Views)

An array of Boolean indicators (round lamp) is a easy and simple way to show it.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
Message 4 of 17
(2,812 Views)

Thank you for the suggestions...

The control panel buttons are not evenly spaced so a grid might not work.

If there is a way, I would like to place a bitmap of the control panel on the front panel and then

make indicators (an array of Boolean indicators might work well) and place these over the bitmap where the

control panel buttons.

I think I know how to make an array of indicators but not sure how I would parse the serial data to enable the

indicators. Would this require a look up table or a bunch of string compares?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(2,786 Views)

Might be a good idea to do up a mock up of your desired front panel using paint/powerpoint/photoshop etc. so we can best suggest what approach to take...

Strokes

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(2,777 Views)

I actually created a front panel this morning with indicators as seen below:

cpanel.JPG 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(2,757 Views)

Kinda neat - I see a keypad and some cursor controls.  What is it?  🙂

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(2,744 Views)

It is a control panel used on medical devices and I want to put together an application to show which button

was pressed...

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(2,735 Views)

I would consider a cluster.  I would probably use some sub-clusters as well so that similar buttons are grouped into individual clusters (like the buttons that look like a keypad arrangement), and the clusters grouped into a larger cluster.

Make the cluster a typedef.  If you make a strict TypeDef, then you can lock in the appearance of the buttons (location, size, ...)

Message 10 of 17
(2,732 Views)