LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interfacing pulse generator and camera w/ Labview

I'm trying to use Labview 2013 to control a pulse generator and a camera during an experiment in the lab. The camera is an Andor Zyle-X sCMOS that is connected to the computer via two VGA cables. The pulse generator is a Stanford Research Systems DG535 that is connected using a GPIB to USB high speed plug (the computer I'm using doesn't have a built in GPIB port).

There was a software package, inculding some VIs, that came with the camera but the VI's that I'm opening from it don't work (trying to get an answer on that from Andor).

I'm really new to Labview and haven't had much training with it whatsoever. I'm try to take this project one step at a time, and my first step is simply getting Labview to recognize that the camera and the pulse generator are actually there, and from there figure out how to control them. I feel like VISA is going to come in handy, but i'm not familiar on exactly how it works.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,569 Views)

Been through that and two other Labview intro books... I need something more specific. I can see both the camera and the pulse generator showing up in MAX, but from there I don't know how to write a program that communicates with either one of them... I need a direction to go in that I can explore a bit and work with. Do I use MAX, VISA to communicate with them? How do i know if they're working? Am I going to have to use software from the respective companies to make them work?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,526 Views)

Have you used the example finder yet?  Help --> Find examples.

I'm thinking you are new to instrument programming, too?  The examples should be enough to get you started.  Don't forget to have the instrument manuals handy - you will need them to figure out what the commands are.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,522 Views)

I've looked at a couple examples and tried to replicate some of the basic concepts behind them, but to no avail. And yes, I'm very new to instrument programming, and programming in general... I was kinda thrown into this project with Labview with no training, guidance or resources and was literally told to "figure it out." It's been pretty miserable... Judging by your response, I'm assuming instrument programming is a little more complex than someone who's been around Labview for about a month or so can handle?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,514 Views)
Did you do Help>Find instrument Drivers? That will install a LabVIEW driver for the dg535. On the main page at http://www.ni.com/downloads/instrument-drivers/, there are links that explain what a driver is, how to use one, etc. If you understand the instrument, programmatically controlling it is not that difficult.
Message 6 of 7
(2,501 Views)

@Scandia.828 wrote:

I've looked at a couple examples and tried to replicate some of the basic concepts behind them, but to no avail. And yes, I'm very new to instrument programming, and programming in general... I was kinda thrown into this project with Labview with no training, guidance or resources and was literally told to "figure it out." It's been pretty miserable... Judging by your response, I'm assuming instrument programming is a little more complex than someone who's been around Labview for about a month or so can handle?

Many people think that because LabVIEW has the "pretty" graphics that it is "easy".

It is no different than any other programming language. It requires knowledge.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,491 Views)