(4,030 Views)
Nik,

I've done some work with Fluke Hydra drivers. What kind of problems
are you having? Are you using GPIB or RS232? If you are initializing
with "ID query" set to true, the response from the device may not be
the expected response.

If you haven't already solved your problems fell free to email me. The
program that I wrote is for a specific application with another model
number, but I think that it could be a good starting point for you.

eric

In article <37E9142F.D032B952@engmail.uwaterloo.ca>,
nik wrote:
> I am trying to interface labview with the Fluke Hydra 2620A, but I'm
> having problems getting going, and i am unable to find any help files
or
> manuals for the drivers which i downloaded. Has anyone done anything
> like this before
, or know anyyone else who has that could offer some
> advice.
>
> Nik
>
>

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(4,030 Views)

Hello Eric,

I came to this thread because I'm also trying to interface a fluke hydra 2620a using Labview 2014 and the labview driver located on the NI website at the following address:

http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/niid_web_display.download_page?p_id_guid=E2328AC55B7E6C1DE0440021287E6A...

I've also installed NI-VISA 5.2 for my windows 7 PC. 

After installing the fluke 262x driver folder, I tried opening the example VI's (Fluke 262X Series Acquire Scan Measurement Review, Fluke 262X Series Acquire Measurement, etc.), then pointing the browser to the filepaths for two files *.lvlib and initialize.  After the front panel comes up, I set all the com parameters to match those on my fluke 2620, i.e. 9600 baud, com port4, no parity, etc.  Since I'm using a USB to RS232 dongle, I made sure to check device manager to take note of the com port used for my dongle (i.e. com 4, in this case).  After clicking the run arrow, the program hangs and says something like, "could not locate GPIB device, etc.etc." .   

Any idea as to why this is happening/ how to resolve this? 

thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(3,089 Views)

"Also" is a pretty liberal word to use in this case.  I doubt they were trying to interface with LabVIEW 2014 in 1999.

http://www.ni.com/download/ni-visa-14.0.1/5023/en/

I'd start with downloading that version of VISA.  After all, http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/CF4279A34F855AB186257B1F00003B82 shows you 5.2 hasn't been compatible since LabVIEW 2012.

Message 4 of 16
(3,083 Views)
You also probably installed the driver to the wrong location if you had to do any browsing. The easiest easy way to install is to use Help> Find Instrument Drivers. You also don't mention using the pull-down menu of the VISA Resource Control. You just can't type whatever you want into it. The name in device manager is also irrelevant. You need the name in MAX.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(3,080 Views)

I installed NI-VISA 14.0.1 but I still can't my device is still not found when I try to open any of the example VIs. 

Opening MAX, I see an instrument connected via "ASRL3:INSTR", this is the usb-serial adapter with my fluke.  I opened the VISA test panel for this instrument and upon clicking query, from the VISA test panel, it returns "fluke, 2620a, etc" 

I did a search in the help index for "VISA resource control" but did not find that entry.  perhaps there's a setting I'm missing. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(3,062 Views)

Dennis, I did go back and find the specific driver for my fluke 2620 under the instrumentation-->Find instrument driver menu.  thanks for that.  That seemed to put those example VI's in the Labview menu screen.  But they still hang up with a device not found message.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(3,059 Views)

I'm really questioning whether this 2620A driver is bogus.  Visa Interactive Control returns the following for my instrument...

ASRL3::INSTR

VISA:  (Hex 0xBFFF0072) The resource is valid, but VISA cannot currently access it.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(3,053 Views)
That error will happen if the os detects two different programs trying to access the same com port. Close LabVIEW if you open MAX.

Can you attach an image of the pop-up? Also an image of your front panel?
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(3,042 Views)

Remembering some pit falls bach from the days when I read 4-10 different RS232 devices (incl. the Hydra)

1. Make shure you have the rigth cable....  not only the rigth connectors 😉

2. correct and identical serial settings

3. try a simple write read to test the communication

here I posted my rs232 swiss army nife (the software, the hardware part was a rs232 universal adapter ..) 

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(3,031 Views)