LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interfacing Avantes Multichannel Spectrometer to LabVIEW

Hi I’m a newbie in LabVIEW. I’m trying to integrate the Avantes Multichannel Spectrometer into LabVIEW 8.5 using USB. Can you suggest any tutorial, VI or manual that I can refer to, to get me started. I have no idea how to start. Your help and advice are very much appreciated.

Best regards,

Mai

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,516 Views)

Hi Mai,

I am looking to develop the same. Were you able to develop it?

Thanks!

Anna

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,757 Views)

Hi mai ,anna.

i am looking to do the same by using serial commnication but i couldnt find anycommands in the data sheet of spectrometer so any help or info would be very useful 🙂

regards,

Anil

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,612 Views)

Hi anilkumarmuppirala,

@anilkumarmuppirala18 wrote:

i couldnt find anycommands in the data sheet of spectrometer so any help or info would be very useful

When your datasheet doesn't provide the information you need then you need to ask the manufacturer of that devices for a better (programming) manual!

Did you ask "Avantes"?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,609 Views)

Thanks for the fast reply gerd yes I just asked them and am still waiting on a reply . Apparently they are not as quick as this community 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,602 Views)

I have the same need and it looks like I'll have to purchase AvaSpec-DLL from Avantes to get the labview drivers. Details here:

https://www.avantes.com/products/software/interface-packages-and-libraries-for-windows-and-linux/

If anyone else knows of another way please let us know!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(784 Views)

I have used AvaSpec.dll (or AvaSpecX64..dll, for 64 bit LV) to work with the spectrometers. I believe our client supplied both the hardware and the drivers directly, so I don't know exactly what was involved in getting them. I don't remember seeing other options for working with the hardware at the time.

Edit: if you are comfortable with working with DLLs, you can also create the VIs yourself (directly, or possibly using the wizard if you have the headers and they use data types which LV can understand), but I do remember that some of the structs used by the DLL are large and annoying, so having to build the code for working with them on your own will be annoying. In my case, I believe I took the original code, reused the code for the annoying parts and cleaned up the rest so that the API is much cleaner.

(757 Views)

I contacted Avantes directly and was given a link to download the DLL and labview wrappers for the DLL. I'm working with them now. They're not great, but good enough.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(686 Views)