LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interface between LabVIEW and C#

Solved!
Go to solution

Sorry....see the attachment.Iam looking for a simple example,actually it will be more easy for me to understand the code if we get a simple example showing the communication between labview and C# through TCP.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks as kudos only:)
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 36
(3,081 Views)

This is about as simple as it gets. Even if I would write a simple example it wouldn't get much simpler than this.

I don't see anything glaringly wrong in this code, but in general I think the determination of the local address is somewhat wonky. It will find the IP address of the last ethernet interface.

Have you checked that this localIP address is a valid one, and which? Assuming you try to run the client and server on the same computer, can you try with the local loopback address 127.0.0.1  instead?

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 36
(3,075 Views)

Hi,

I did a simple socket programing example in C# for receiving datas send from labview.It is attached below.It is showing that the connection is established but after clicking the 'send' button in labview no data is received.please check the VI.Is there anything to change in the labview code??Is the C# code incapable of receiving datas coming in that form?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 36
(3,055 Views)

@danil33 wrote:

Hi,

I did a simple socket programing example in C# for receiving datas send from labview.It is attached below.It is showing that the connection is established but after clicking the 'send' button in labview no data is received.please check the VI.Is there anything to change in the labview code??Is the C# code incapable of receiving datas coming in that form?

Can you be more specific as to what doesn't work? Which messages do you see on your client application and which not? Do you see the "Message from Client$" message in LabVIEW? Does it hang, not show the data you expexct or what else? Where does it hang if it does?

I'm not intimately friends with .Net programming in general and don't know all the details about the System.Net.Sockets.TcpClient() class but it could as well be that serverStream.Write() or serverStream.Flush() do block if the data is not properly read on the remote side.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 36
(3,050 Views)

Thanks for the reply.

After running the server and the client,Form1 box will appears and it is showing that server connected and client started.Then I clicked the "send Data" button in the Labview.And then I clicked the button in Form1.That time the textbox inside the Form1 is displaying the comment "Data from Server : " .But it is not displaying the data received.It is displaying nothing except the comment "Data from Server : " .

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 36
(3,046 Views)

Well, read on MSDN about the TCPClient Stream implementation.

First thing to check would be how much bytes you are requesting from Read(). It could be 0 bytes, since the data has not arrived yet. And a read of 0 bytes likely will return immediately with exactly 0 bytes so there is nothing wrong with the code as it executes.

Instead to mimic the protocol you implemented in LabVIEW, you should always request 4 bytes first. stream.Read() is guaranteed to block until it receives the data the caller requested. Now you do have 4 bytes creating a 32 Bit integer value so you will have to convert those 4 bytes into an integer but be aware that LabVIEW flattened data is always send in Big Endian form, so you need to byte swap the data in this process. With this number you can now do a second Read() to receive the actual data.

Also watch out when printing the received data out. This is binary data that can contain NULL bytes and System.Text.Encoding.ASCII.GetString() considers a NULL byte to be a terminating indicator, and I'm sure your 4 bytes length indicator contains leading 0 bytes, unless you manage to send data that is more than 16MB in one go.

BTW: it is a rather bad form to send binary files on fora. Write the C# code in a simple ASCII text file instead and give it a txt ending if you can't attach it otherwise, but don't copy and paste everything into a Word document. For one, not everybody has word installed, and two Word has had macro code vulnerabilities in the past, so some people refuse to open Word documents from unknown sources.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 36
(3,051 Views)

Hi,

To avoid confusions regarding bytes,I have taken a simple example which is sending data in DBL form.which is attached.Now after running both the server and client I can see some junk values like (??@#) not getting the exact data.what is the problem with the labview part??please help to correct it out.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 36
(3,035 Views)

Ha danil,

"Now after running both the server and client I can see some junk values"

Maybe because you already send "junk" from your server VI? Just look at your "data string" indicator, after setting it back to "normal display"...

Sometimes it really helps to use some probes for debugging. You would have seen those junk on your string wire connecting "flatten" and "TCP write"!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 36
(3,028 Views)

Sigh!

double is also a binary value and not a string, so just as much prone to endianess interpretation and embedded NULL bytes in the binary stream. As such the same as with the previous example applies as well. Als the junk data you see is the binary data. System.Text.Encoding.ASCII.GetString() simply tries to interpret that binary data as string and gets to this. It has no way to know that the binary data are in fact double values.

To start with try to send the data as string, not as flattened binary byte stream, that at least avoids any trouble in endianess interpretation as well as embedded NULL bytes, that System.Text.Encoding.ASCII.GetString() is bound to stumble over.

Also it would be a good idea to try to read in the LabVIEW example the string you send to server, preferably before you enter the loop and using the CRLF mode, and appending a proper \r\n sequence to the string in your C# example.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 19 of 36
(3,027 Views)

Hi Rolfk,

Now it is working.Now we are able to send the entire frame also.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 36
(2,999 Views)