LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intentionally Cause LabVIEW to Not Respond

Perhaps not a common question to be asked (didn't see this question in the forums), but is there an easy way to intentionally get LabVIEW to not respond?  I have a watchdog timer that communicates to my test equipment through LAN (outside of LabVIEW), and it is working great, but I want to test it to be sure that if LabVIEW specifically goes into a "not responding" state, as in the window grays out and I cannot access anything, that the watchdog timer in the background sees this and flags.  I've already confirmed its operation by intentionally creating various errors in LabVIEW, but want to test this final case before I move on.  I was thinking some sort of intentional memory leak but also do not have days to wait to see if the memory locks up.  Any help would be appreciated. 

Ben

PS. One other thing, getting LabVIEW to not respond can be done outside of the LabVIEW as well (doesn't need to be in the LabVIEW code itself.  For example, is there a process under task manager that I can kill to get LabVIEW to not respond?)

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,917 Views)

A watchdog should act even when Windows go crazy. Easy test: turn off the PC...

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,844 Views)

Totally agree.  I've done that actually and it works as intended.  For this, I was specifically looking to make sure that the watchdog works if LabVIEW "grays out" and goes unresponsive to put my mind at ease that I have covered all the potential hang-ups.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,794 Views)

Hmm, that is interesting. I don't know of any specific method or way to do this, though one thought would be to try running a VI that will use massive amounts of resources that will slow down LabVIEW execution sufficiently. 

Regards,

Regards,

Michael Whitten
Senior RF Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,773 Views)

Maybe you can make and then call a dll that purposely doesn't return control to LabVIEW?  I think that will cause it not to respond.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,756 Views)
Bill, That may work. I will give that a shot this week and see what results I get. -Ben
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,730 Views)

Sending LabVIEW into a DLL never to return won't create the traditional window not responding behavior with spinning wheel and all but will get you into a state where you can't stop the application normally or even abort it which is probably still good to test. Easiest way to get this behavior is probably to create a VI with an infinite while loop and some wait function and build it into a LabVIEW DLL so you call the DLL but never return.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,701 Views)