LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Integrating Labview with Omron PLC CP1E using USB connection.

Hi Labview experts! I need help on integrating Labview with Omron PLC CP1L using USB connection. When adding a new channel, which of the device driver I should choose for USB connection? And how to link the tag to I/O in cx-programmer? It would be perfect if anyone can guide me through the whole process. Sorry if my questions sounds stupid as I am really new to these.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,117 Views)

The first thing to do is to plug the USB connector into your PC and fire up MAX.  Does it "see" the remote device?  Does Windows tell you that the Driver for your remote device is installed?  Is it a LabVIEW Driver?

It may be that your device has a "language" consisting of commands and parameters, and that you communicate with it through a Serial Port, including USB.  Your manual should tell you.  In any case, once MAX "sees" it, try sending some simple commands to it through the MAX Test Panel.  If this seems to work, duplicate these steps using DAQmx (do not use the DAQ Assistant -- read the White Paper on using 10 DAQmx functions to do 80% of all DAQ "needs").

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(5,085 Views)
Duplicate - http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Connect-Omron-PLC-CP1L-to-Labview-through-NI-OPC-server-using/m-p/31...

In any case, using DAQmx functions (DAQ Assistant or not), would be just a waste of time when the device is not an NI data acquisition device.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(5,074 Views)

Here is some info about connecting LabVIEW to PLCs: Connect LabVIEW to Any PLC Using OPC. I don't see your Omron device in the Supported Device & Driver Plug-in List for NI-OPC Server list.

I guess it will be much easier to find a solution using the Ethernet port instead of USB.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(5,062 Views)
Your subject days CP1E but the message says CP1L. Which one is it? You hijacked a CP1L thread.

The specs for the CP1L list Ethernet as the connection. USB for only storing program data.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(5,028 Views)

had you found the solution for that? I am also trying to switch output pins of omron plc in a sequence. For that, I would like to know if I have to first program the plc in cx program and than link the program to the labview code OR is it possible to just make those output pins switch sequentially using LabVIEW alone.!?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,331 Views)

I don't have any projects related to Omron PLCs since about four years, but I remember that there was CX program running on the Omron PLC.

Our LabVIEW program was using TCP socket connection for sending bytes to the PLC. Each bit represented the state of a particular digital output. The PLC program was taking care of distributing the info to the related outputs. Respectively the state of the digital inputs was going back to the PC.

I don't remember is we had analog in/out signals, but this should work very similar.  

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,315 Views)