LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Integrating FPGA Code on rest of project.

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello, thank you for helping me out.

I recently started on the NI MyRIO, I have the following code to handle an ultrasonic range finder: 

Range.png

However when I try to compile it I get the message: 

Error.png

Apparently many of the most common functions of Labview can't be used on an FPGA target. However the code for the rangefinder is a small part of a bigger project in which I'll have to use said functions, so my main worry is wether I'll be able to integrate this FPGA code together with "normal" labview code on the myRIO, if possible then how? 

I'd like for example create a "top" VI that has it's own code (showing the waveform graph after realizing some mathematical operations over the data outputed by this VI as well as doing some other stuff).

Thank you again for helping me.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,514 Views)

Hi RHCA,

don't use any kind of arrays with non-fixed size on a FPGA target!

And surely your FPGA doesn't have a UI, so it is pointless to have a graph on the FPGA…

LabVIEW comes with a lot of example VIs and projects. There are also projects explaining how to faciliate a FPGA target controlled from a RT host…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,509 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author RHCA

Here is the thing with FPGA: you are configuring actual hardware.  Everything has to be fixed in size.  So if you do have to use an array, you have to configure it to be of a fixed size (right-click in the control to set the size, use Initialize Array or FOR loops with fixed number of cycles and autoindexing).

As GerdW stated, FPGA does not have a GUI.  So you will want to use a DMA FIFO to pass your waveform data up to the RT.  You create those in the project.

For some really good information, I recommend you check out the cRIO Developer's Guide.  The myRIO is the exact same platform as a cRIO except you cannot use C Series modules.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,487 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author RHCA

Quick Follow up: 

I was able to integrate the FPGA module with the rest of my project using the following after messing around for a bit.

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371599K-01/lvfpgaconcepts/pfi_data_transfer/

Hopefully this will help someone as new as I am to LabVIew!

Thanks for your answers and time.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,467 Views)