LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insutrment: Rear & Display Template

I have been searching the forums trying to get some of my questions answered and have come up with nothing.

I have finally got labview and the Instrument I/O assistant all configured properly. So the software runs now. YAY!

I have a Keithley 2182 with a thermocouple hooked up to it. I want to use the Rear and Display template to do some datalogging with one of our ovens. I haven't used Labview for 3 years. Can someone give me some advice on how I need to wire everything up in the template to start collecting data from the Keithley?

Instrument I/O Assistant: When I try and use this to get data from the Keithley I get a Timedout error. I have the Keithley connected to the computer with a GPIB USB-HS.

What am I missing with all this? Are there any tutorials or exmaples that I can look at and modify to work for my application? What I am doing is so simple and basic, I'm sure a generic template would be fine.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(3,071 Views)

@ToddH wrote:

I have finally got labview and the Instrument I/O assistant all configured properly. So the software runs now. YAY!

Instrument I/O Assistant: When I try and use this to get data from the Keithley I get a Timedout error. I have the Keithley connected to the computer with a GPIB USB-HS.

Those are two contradictatory statements.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(3,074 Views)

What does that mean?

I'm re-learnign thigns here and that was never misguiding.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17
(3,070 Views)

You've said two opposite things. How can you say that the DAQ Assistant is configured correctly and the software runs in one sentence and two sentences later, you say it does not run. That is a contradiction.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17
(3,066 Views)

Initally I was having issues getting the DAQ assistant configured properly. Whenever I double clicked it I would get that Instrument I/O error. BUT NOW THAT IS NOT THE PROBLEM

THE DAQ ASSISTANT OPENS CORRECTLY.

When I open the DAQ assistant.

Under "Select an Instrument"

It says com 3. Which is most likely the USB port where the GPIB is connected.

I hit "Add Step" I hit Read and Parse

I hit "Run this Step" -> This is where I get the Timedout before compelted error.

If I use any of the other steps. It doesn't make sense to me. Why would I need to "Write" or "Query and Parse"?

All I want to do with the labview file I am trying to create is take the data off the instrument and record it. Save this file as an excel sheet and I would be very happy.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(3,044 Views)

Hi ToddH,

It seems like you are using GPIB to communicate with your instrument. If this is a NI GPIB USB device, be sure that in Measurement and Automation Explorer, that you can see your instrument.

Go into Measurement and Automation Explorer and select the GPIB device.

When the GPIB device is selected, click Scan for Instruments.

If on the bottom of the right pane, you see your device then you were able to successfully communicate.

Feel free to post a screenshot of what you see in Measurement and Automation Explorer.

I noticed that you said you had put it on COM3. COM ports are usually Serial ports or parallel ports and GPIB devices show up as INSTR.

Hope this helps!

Chris T.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(3,015 Views)

What am I doing wrong? Why dont I see the GPIB device? It is plugged into my computer and the associated software is installed. I even tried re-installing it to make sure.

Chris. Thank you for your very detailed response.

I have my National Instruments GPIB USB-HS connected to the computer and to the Keithley's IEEE port. I have also tried switching units to an HP but that didn't help.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(3,008 Views)

When I highlight the Com3 device and hit Open Visa test panel. I then hit the execute button and get the values as seen in this screen shot.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(3,007 Views)

Trying to use Com3 is just a waste of time. You are trying to use a GPIB device.

There is something very wrong with your software installation. What does windows device manager show? And what do you mean by 'switching units to an HP'? If you tried connecting an Agilent instrument, that is also a waste of time. Nothing will work until the controller is listed in MAX. That is your primary problem. You mentioned difficulty installing the I/O Assistant. What happened there?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(2,986 Views)

Dennis,

When I had the isntrument I/O assistant problem I was using Labview 8.2 student version. So I removed that and had our company purchase Labview 2010. So when I installed Labview 2010 and then downloaded the device driver software from the labview website, the Instrument I/O assistant worked fine.

In regards to the Com3 Problem. I thought Com3 was my USB port number 3, which is where I assumed my GPIB-USB device was connected.

I have attached a screen shot from my Device Manager. When I click ont he device it says, this device is working properly. Under the General tab it does say, Location 0 (USB Device). But I don't think that refers to the actual USB port number for my computer.

What do you guys think? What am i doing wrong here.

I WOULD LIKE TO THANK EVERYONE FOR THEIR HELP IN ADVANCE.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
(2,941 Views)