LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing NI-DAQmx in Windows XP Mode

I am trying to install DAQmx 8.8 in Windows XP Mode and I get an error creating temporary files.  Searching for a solution has left me with more questions.  I will just explain what I am trying to do in hopes that someone has done this.

I have a new computer with Windows 7 64 bit running LabVIEW 2009 sp1 32bit with DAQmx 9.2.2.  I need to support some old equipment running LabVIEW 8.6.1 and DAQmx 8.8 in Windows XP.  Since LV 8.6 is not supported in Windows 7, I installed it under XP Mode Virtual PC.  I also read that DAQmx will not interact with any real hardware since it does have direct access the the OS kernel, but that is ok since I will be sending the exe file to the customer. 

My goal is to be able to create an executable on my PC that will run on the customers machine while keeping the vi's editable on his machine since he has a licensed copy of LabVIEW.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Doug

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,700 Views)

Hi Doug, 

I just wanted to clarify-are you trying to use DAQmx 8.8 with your LabVIEW 2009? If so, you are likely experiencing these issues because the two versions are not compatible (see this Compatibility Chart). If this is not the case, please say which versions of DAQmx and LabVIEW you are using together to try and make your desired executable. Thanks!

~kgarrett

District Sales Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,681 Views)

Thanks for the reply.

I am running LabVIEW 2009 sp1 and DAQmx 9.2.2 in Windows 7 64bit OS.

I want to load LabVIEW 8.6 with DAQmx 8.8 in Windows XP Mode.  LabVIEW 8.6 loaded fine, but DAQmx 8.8 give me an error during install.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,677 Views)

What was the actual error message?

Brad

---
Brad Keryan
NI R&D
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,673 Views)

I ran install again so I can provide an exact error message and it installed fine.

Prior to posting this question, I tried many things like enabling or disabling integration features and many reboots.  This time it worked even though I did not do anything different.  Just so people know that try this, the install was done with integration features enabled.

I will report back when I get a chance to test running an executable created in XP Mode and ran on a different PC running Windows XP for the record. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,668 Views)

Glad you got it working nonecure, and thank you for taking the time to post as much information as possible about what you did to fix the issue. 

~kgarrett

District Sales Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,651 Views)

Just for everyone’s reference, this worked flawless!  In Windows 7 XP Mode I was able to install LabVIEW 8.6.1 and all the old drivers.  I then made the modifications needed for the customer and created the executable.  The executable runs fine on the customers machine.  More importantly; since I used all the old versions, the customer is able to modify the vi’s on his machine.

This is perfect since I can maintain old programs since I don’t need to connect to any hardware.  Anything new that I am developing will be done in Windows 7 with 2009sp1 or 2010, so I can connect to any hardware.  This works for me.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,628 Views)