From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing LabVIEW 2012 & ARM after LabVIEW 2016

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I've been away from LV and I'd like to avoid trouble. I have a laptop (Win7SP1) with LabVIEW 2016 already installed (both x32 and x64 versions). I need to do something withe my Keil ARM board so I need LabVIEW 2012 too. Following are my questions to the competent colleagues:

1. Can I install LV2012 with LV2016 already installed, or do I need to uninstall LV2016 first and then install LV2012 followed by LV2016?

2. Does only LV2012 x32 support the ARM module or can I use the LV2012 x64 version?

Thanks in advance,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,545 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author golubovski

Good news/bad news.  I know I've tried installing LabVIEW older versions after newer ones, and it never worked (this is the Bad News, if you couldn't tell).  When I got started and needed to do this (say, install LabVIEW 7 (again) with LabVIEW 8.0, 8.2, and 8.6 already there), the fastest (and only working) way was to get Control Panel to uninstall all NI Software and "start all over".

But there's a "better way" -- make VM for the older version.  The nice thing about a VM is that it acts like a "PC as Software" -- you build a 60GB VM with Windows 7 x64 and a few tools, and save it as "Basic Win 7".  When you need, say, LabVIEW 12, you copy the VM, open it with (free) VM Player, and go install LabVIEW 2012.  If you have a PC with a little more "oomph" (say 16GB core and at least an I5, better a quad core I7), you can give the VM 6-8GB of memory and 2-4 cores, and have a not-so-bad machine.  The downside, of course, may be hardware connectivity, but for development, this is hard to beat.

Bob Schor

Message 2 of 2
(2,527 Views)