From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installer not replacing despite same upgrade code

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello again,

I recently upgraded from LabVIEW 8.5.1 to LabVIEW 2010.  This exposed the upgrade code to me for the first time in the installer properties.  I have 3 installers for my product.  Ideally they would replace each other, but right now (or at least in the recent past) they just replace themselves.

I wanted to make sure that that would still be the case after this upgrade, so I installed an old version of the Basic product, then a newly rebuilt version of the Basic, and it did replace the old (as determined by looking at the Add/Remove Programs list).

However, when I tried the same test with the Full version, the newly created installer did NOT replace the previous Full version installation.  I read up on Upgrade Codes on this forum, and pulled out my old (8.5.1) project file to make sure that I had not accidentally hit the "Generate new upgrade code" button, but sure enough when I opened it in LabVIEW 2010 it had the same upgrade code as the current installer for the Full version.

Can anyone tell me why it would not be replacing another product with the same upgrade code?

As extra credit, can anyone tell me if there is a way to change my installers at this time so that they will not only replace old versions of themselves, but also from now on replace each other as well?  I'm guessing the answer is no, that's not possible, but just thought I'd throw it out there just in case.  Smiley Wink  I thought about changing all the upgrade codes to be the same, but it's more important for my customers to be able to upgrade their existing versions correctly then to be able to switch versions correctly (by which I mean not leaving the old version listed as installed).

Let me know if I need to clarify anything; I feel this post was a little less clear than I'd like it.

Thanks,

-Joe

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,212 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author jmorris

Okay, I figured out that somehow my installer had gotten marked as "auto increment product version", and reset to a lower version number than my previous version, so that explains why it did not replace the previous version despite having the same upgrade code.  I corrected it to have a higher version number, and then it worked, replacing the older version as expected.

I'm going to mark this as the solution (which feels slightly weird to mark my own post Smiley Wink), but I'd still appreciate it if anyone has a magic solution to my extra credit question in the original post.

Cheers,

-Joe

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,190 Views)