From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installer not finding my "Additional Installers" properly

When I try and create an installer it claims that three of the required run time installers do not exist on my system. It is requesting the 8.5 Run-Time, DAQ-mx 8.6 and Sound Vibration Run-Time. Additionally I know I also need the TDMS installer as well. But my list of "Additional Installers" does not seem to be filling out properly. It only contains the LabVIEW 8.0.1 Run-Time Engine, LabVIEW 8.2.1 Run-Time Engine and LabWindows CVI 8.1 Run-Time Engine. I know I should have more and a quick look in the ProductCache folder shows the following directory listing with MSIs in all of the important ones that I checked.

Directory of E:\Program Files\National Instruments\Shared\ProductCache
CVIRTE [8.1.1]
lv80rte
mkl700
NI Certificates Deployment Support [1.01.49153]
NI LabVIEW RealTime NB-FIFO [8.2.1]
NI LabVIEW RealTime NB-FIFO [8.5.0]
NI LabVIEW Rutime Engine [8.2.1]
NI LabVIEW Rutime Engine [8.5]
NI License Manager [3.2.1027]
NI Logos XT [4.9.0]
NI Logos [4.9.0]
NI MDF Support [2.51.87]
NI Service Locator [8.5]
NI Sound and Vibration [6.0]
NI TDMS [1.1.0]
NI Uninstaller [2.51.87]
NI USI UFF58 Plugin [2.2]

Even a look at the "Software" section of MAX shows that I have the LabVIEW Run-Time 8.5.0 installed. Any thoughts on how Installer gets its list of installed components? I'm not real interested in doing another full install of LabVIEW DAQ-mx, SV Tools, and DIAdem just to get my installer to recognize them.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,359 Views)
Turning on the debug log for the installer has shown the following:

Loading PDF: "E:\Program Files\National Instruments\Shared\MDF\Manifests\NI LabVIEW Run-Time Engine 8.5 {47FFFF8E-A6E7-4C9A-AB7B-1BE0FE29A95A}.xml"

> **************
> *** Error: Internal error. (Error code -40)
> There was a problem getting information about the source distribution for product 'NI LabVIEW Run-Time Engine 8.5'
WARNING! Ignoring this manifest because an error occurred!
Error loading source distribution info for product 'NI LabVIEW Run-Time Engine 8.5' from registry.
Error in MDF : : DistributionSourceCollection::LoadProductSourceFromNISysInfo
Could not extrapolate product location on distribution because paths do not match
Path of part on distribution:
Path of part in product: lv85rte\lv85runtime.msi
> *** End Error Report
> **************

> *** WARNING ***
> Skipping deployment information for an unidentified product because error code -40 occurred while loading file: E:\Program Files\National Instruments\Shared\MDF\Manifests\NI LabVIEW Run-Time Engine 8.5 {47FFFF8E-A6E7-4C9A-AB7B-1BE0FE29A95A}.xml

Loading PDF: "E:\Program Files\National Instruments\Shared\MDF\Manifests\NI LabVIEW Sound and Vibration Toolkit 6.0 {97A974B6-3D44-4197-AC33-CC9BE6EAF8A0}.xml"

> **************
> *** Error: Internal error. (Error code -40)
> There was a problem getting information about the source distribution for product 'NI LabVIEW Sound and Vibration Toolkit 6.0'
WARNING! Ignoring this manifest because an error occurred!
Error loading source distribution info for product 'NI LabVIEW Sound and Vibration Toolkit 6.0' from registry.
Error in MDF : : DistributionSourceCollection::LoadProductSourceFromNISysInfo
Could not extrapolate product location on distribution because paths do not match
Path of part on distribution:
Path of part in product: SVToolset.msi
> *** End Error Report
> **************

Message Edited by PalamarTM on 05-16-2008 01:46 PM
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,355 Views)

Hi,

This behavior is sometimes seen when customers upgrade versions of DAQmx, and then remove the drivers again in the future. It can also be seen during LabVIEW version upgrades. The first thing to try is to repair your installation of LabVIEW and DAQmx (if you have DAQmx installed.) You can do this by going into the Windows Control Panel, then Add and Remove Programs, and choosing "National Instruments Software". You can then choose the "Change/Remove" button which will bring up a menu of all the installed National Instruments software on your machine. At this point, you can choose your LabVIEW version and choose repair from the three button choices to the right of the software listing. During the repair process, you will be asked for your original installation media, so be prepared for this. Once you finish this, repeat the procedure for DAQmx if it is installed.

I know that you do not require DAQmx for this project, but it may still be affecting you if it is installed on this machine at all. So be sure to repair it as well. Please post back with the results of this step.

Sincerely,
Asa Kirby
Applications Engineer
National Instruments

Asa Kirby
CompactRIO Product Marketing Manager
(3,305 Views)

After more looking at teh Manifests and the windows registry it appears this would be near impossible to rebuild manually. It appears that the Manifests use the nasty 30 digit identifiers to reference the MSI entries in the Windows registry which then reference even more of these nasty IDs to get to the real information. So hopefully your suggestion works.

I was thinking this was not an "upgrade issue" because when I upgraded from LabVIEW 8.21 to 8.5 I uninstalled everything NI. I then deleted everything NI from ProgramFiles. I then went the registry and deleted everything NI I could find. I then installed everything from the 2007 3rd quarter CDs.

What I had forgotten was that to troubleshoot some issues with order tracking, tech support reccomended I update my Sound and Vib toolkit from 5.0 to 6.0. Unfortunately I did that in a hurry and do not remember what else that install decided to bring with it (probably a newer verion of DAQ).

I will try and repair the installs. Maybe that will also fix what appears to be a completely unrelated problem whereby when I run a Quickbooks related VB application it tries to run the MSI for Traditional DAQ. Three clicks on a cancel button and it runs, but it is starting to get annoying.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,291 Views)