From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installer error says it can't locate a component necessary to build the installer - and refers to itself!

Solved!
Go to solution

Has anyone ever seen that before?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(864 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author billko

For anyone who might ever run across this issue:

There are some drivers that are not installed explicitly - for instance, PXI support for a lot of drivers - and they will show up as a dependency of your installer.  This, in itself, seems not be be a problem, even though, obviously, when you're building that installer, the dependency path does not exist.  The installer build routine seems to normally account for this by "looking around" in the cache.  If it finds it in the cache it loads it from there.  However, if it finds that driver in an installer that you already built, it thinks it's a valid source of that driver.  But it doesn't seem to be considered a valid place to find the driver, it gives you a file dialog and asks you where it is.  You won't be able to find it, and you have to cancel the installer build.  Then you get the error I described in my first post.  It's as if the installer gets crosslinked somehow.

I'd say this is a bug.  The workaround is to remove all installer builds from a path that could be considered "relative" to your current build path by your current installer build.  (Or maybe all your installer builds are cached as valid sources and you need to remove them from those paths.)

Edit:

I couldn't remove the PXI driver, even though I don't have  PXI chassis.  It was checked as needed, but grayed out.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 2 of 2
(806 Views)