From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installer cannot install LabVIEW 8.5 and MAX 4.3. Incompatibility with UNSPECIFIED sofware already installed.

It would certainly help if the installer reported which sofwares are incompatible...
Already Installed:
LabVIEW 6.0.2, 7.0,7.1.1
LabVIEW Run-Time 5.1 ... 8.5
MAX 4.0,3
NI-488.2 2.42
NI-VISA 4.2

on Windows XP Pro SP2

LabVIEW, C'est LabVIEW

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,165 Views)
Hello Jean Pierre,

I personally have installed LabVIEW 8.5 on a PC with everything on your list already on the same computer aside from the LabVIEW 8.5 Run-Time and LabVIEW 6.0.2 (I no longer use this version of LabVIEW).  I agree it would help if the incompatibility were specified, and I will follow-up on duplicating this issue.  In the meantime, let's try uninstalling LabVIEW Run-Time 8.5 and then try installing LabVIEW 8.5 and MAX 4.3.  Please let me know how this works out.  Cheers!

-Bob
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,146 Views)
I have setup a test machine with the software you describe and LabVIEW 8.5 successfully installs to this PC.  Were you able to find a work-around?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,126 Views)
I tried to remove LVRT 8.5 but MAX 4.0 still reported it was installed (it wasn't). I also uninstalled LabVIEW 6. Same installation failure.

There was also a message indicating that DAQmx was only supporting the 4 latest LabVIEW versions and uninstalling it from unsupported version.

I installed the downloadable LabVIEW 8.5 on top of the partial installation. LabVIEW installation succeeded but MAX 4.3 and Signal Express still failed to install.

LabVIEW, C'est LabVIEW

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,103 Views)

@JeanPierre wrote:
I tried to remove LVRT 8.5 but MAX 4.0 still reported it was installed (it wasn't). I also uninstalled LabVIEW 6. Same installation failure.

There was also a message indicating that DAQmx was only supporting the 4 latest LabVIEW versions and uninstalling it from unsupported version.

I installed the downloadable LabVIEW 8.5 on top of the partial installation. LabVIEW installation succeeded but MAX 4.3 and Signal Express still failed to install.

LabVIEW 6.x can't be the problem. It is as MSI agnostic as you can get. So a newer installation must be the culprit and here the problem is usually not what is still installed, but what has been removed but for some reasons just not quite right. MAX in any version from 4.0 on is a very good candidate indeed. I've had troubles in the past like that, but for other reasons needed to fully reinstall that machine anyhow, so didn't bother to look deeper into it.

To put it mildly I'm not so impressed about the MSI installer mess caused by NI products in the last few years. My current notebook is all messed up with all kinds of NI packages that show up in the Add/Remove software list (outside of the NI Software Utility) but can not be removed in any way I have found so far. It's that it still all seems to work more or less but I thread the day when I have to completely reinstall it.

Rolf Kalbermatter

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,087 Views)
It sounds like there is an issue with a version of software that has been uninstalled.  Like I said, I installed all of the software you mentioned on a test PC and did not have issues when installing LabVIEW 8.5.  If you download the DAQmx 8.6 installer from here and install this version (which also installs Measurement & Automation Explorer 4.3) do you still see this error?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,074 Views)

@B O B wrote:
It sounds like there is an issue with a version of software that has been uninstalled.  Like I said, I installed all of the software you mentioned on a test PC and did not have issues when installing LabVIEW 8.5.  If you download the DAQmx 8.6 installer from here and install this version (which also installs Measurement & Automation Explorer 4.3) do you still see this error?

No improvement with DAQmx 8.6 installer. Signal Express and MAX 4.3 won't install

LabVIEW, C'est LabVIEW

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,056 Views)
I have had this same problem with both XP and Vista.  In both cases I has installed 7.1 and then 8.5 with NO DAQ drivers, and then went back to install them later (8.7.1).

On my latest attempt, I had 7.1 and 8.5 installed and RTE 8.2.  After uninstalling RTE 8.2 I was able to install MAX.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,485 Views)