From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installer AppDataFolder as ini file destination

LabVIEW V9:

My installer should install user specific *.ini files in [AppDataFolder] with LabVIEW Builder. This folder is dedicated to the current user.

See also  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa367565%28v=VS.85%29.aspx

As destination for the installer, this choice does not exist (only [CommonAppDataFolder] can be selected).

I found that new folders can only be added as sub folders, but not as a windows installer property folder like  [AppDataFolder].

There are some workarounds like calling a batchfile or copying these files by the application software.

However, using the installer would be more straght forward.

Thank for any idea on how to install support files in the windows  [AppDataFolder] folder?

Klaus

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,718 Views)

This problem still hasn't been fixed in LabVIEW 10.  I'm dissappointed that this has not been done.  If anyone has a work around, please chime in.

Kevin Brown

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,560 Views)

I have just done a build using Labview 2011, and there is still no way to specify a user directory that has permissions set to read/write in the builder. This is dissapointing. Under Win 7, the \Program Files\XXX directory does not have user write permissions, and so this is not a good place to save preferences or ini files that change.

In the Labview app 'the 'Get System Directory' provides a path to each system directory type, for example 'Application Files',  'Public Preferences', 'User Preferences'. It would be extra good if the Builder allowed us to use the same system directory types. That way we could put our own apps system preferences directory under 'User Preferences' for example, where files automatically have user read/write permissions.

We tried using the Public App Data directory, but any files put in there still seem to have read only permissions.

A-ha, I have the answer to my own question - if you tick the 'Unlock' check box under Source File Settings/File and Folder Attributes, read/write is allowed.

I would prefer Unlock said 'User read/write'.

All the same it would be great if the Get System Directory names lined up with the names used in the builder, and that they were all available.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,495 Views)