LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install LabVIEW SP1 Community Edition on Mac OS

@billko wrote:

Do you think the holdup is due more to licensing issues than technical ones?

If you are referring to a Mac Community Edition, it is a technical issue getting Linx to work on Mac (and Linux).

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 13
(366 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

@billko wrote:

If you are referring to a Mac Community Edition, it is a technical issue getting Linx to work on Mac (and Linux).

Oh, I forgot about Linx being a part of the CE package.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 13
(361 Views)

@billko wrote:

It’s both. On the technical site the Linx package needs to be ported and tested. Porting should not be to much trouble, testing probably quite a bit more. In addition the project plugin framework needs to be worked on. It’s how the Raspberry Pi and Beaglebone Black are integrated into a project as targets to directly deploy LabVIEW code too. This uses the same infrastructure as LabVIEW realtime targets. While it was developed to be multiplatform and even used on non Windows platforms for the Robotics and Lego Toolkits, it only has been fully exercised and stress tested under Windows for the realtime targets. I expect some extra work being needed. These are all technical problems that can be solved with some resources. 
License control is an en entirely different story. Non Windows versions have no license manager. Releasing a LabVIEW for Mac Community Edition without some form of license control would be solely relying on user honesty. I think we all know we would not do that if it was our own product and we didn’t intend to give it out for free anyhow! But developing a license manager for Mac (and Linux) or even just integrating an existing solution, is a project that is considerably more expensive in time and effort than all the rest that is needed. A cost-profit analysis for that is almost certainly to result in a deep red number. The most cost neutral choice is unfortunately to do nothing. It still costs something in terms of missed opportunities to get LabVIEW in the hands of possible future engineers but that are numbers that at best can be qualified as pipe dreams for a future time many years from now. In our modern just in time production and according management by end of year bonuses rather than long term strategies, the immediate cost of development work for something that potentially marginalizes the sales of LabVIEW Professional is many times more important.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 13 of 13
(344 Views)