LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increasing Program speed

Hello!

I was working on a V-BLAST communication scheme. A lot of digital signal processing needs to be done at the receiver side. In order to ease the hassle of timing matching, i simply used a producer - consumer state machine approach. I put a waveform generator at the producer state machine to monitor the incoming signal and i put a threshold detector at the consumer so to indicate whether the signal has arrived or not. 

The signal actually arrives a couple of seconds earlier. I can say this because i monitor the waveform. The threshold is detected later. I was wondering despite decreasing the complexity of receiver (less operations) are there any common mistakes that i might have done in my implementation. I am a newbie in LabVIEW and i designed the code not knowing the aftermath in terms of speed. In your experience, what mistakes to common people generally do? I have a doubt that adding a lot of Sub VIs although makes the code compact but i think it increases the time of operation and i have many of them in my code.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,184 Views)

Hi ahhad,

You can inline subVIs which will compile them as if they are on the same block diagram as the calling VI. However, the best way to get feedback on your code is to post it. If you have many VIs in your project, I would recommend putting them in a zip folder, you can easily create a zip as one of the build specifications.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,162 Views)

There are plenty of typical mistakes by newbie users, but your description is too vague to comment on anything specific.  For example "A lot of signal processing" can mean may different things to many different people. What is the data size? What are the algorithms?

Do you actually have performance problems? How is the CPU use? Is the UI interactive or sluggish?

You cannot improve performance unless you have a reliable way to benchmark and compare.

For some simple guidelines, Have a look at our NI-WEEK 2016 talk:

TS9524 - Code Optimization and Benchmarking

Message 3 of 3
(2,132 Views)