LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incompatibility between Office 365, older Office versions and Report Generation Toolkit 2019

Hi all!

I have just installed Office 365 and, first of all, I could not find whether it is compatible or not with Report Gen. Toolkit 2019. On the following webpage http://www.ni.com/product-documentation/54029/en/ I could not find the compatibility statement for 2019 version.

After upgrading from Office 2016 to Office 365, I have had some issues in recompiling some software developed while I had Office 2016 installed. I solved this issue by re-linking the property nodes in the broken VIs as stated in many tutorials online.

The problem is that, if I compile an .exe after relinking the property node with the Office 365 PC, the software will only run on machines that have Office 365 installed, while it will crash on machines with Office 2016 or lower. 

The opposite, instead, works fine: if i compile an .exe on a machine with Office 2016 and run it on a machine with Office 365 or older Office versions, it will work.

Is this a bug or a problem related to the not compatibility between Report Gen Toolkit and Office 365?

Thanks,

Federico

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,010 Views)

The problem is that Microsoft keeps changing their ActiveX code from version to version of Office.  They'll often rename functions, or add more parameters to a given function call.  It is impossible for a program like LabVIEW to be able to stay linked to all the variations that MS has  created.

If you can't standardize on all your machines using the same version of office, then you might have to make difference versions of your code and use whichever one is based on the version of Office installed.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,959 Views)

I totally agree with you, Microsoft is the real culprit here.

Maybe someone in National Instruments can think about creating a Report Generation Toolkit that can adapt to the various (or, at least, the latest) versions of Office.

Since the 2019 Toolkit has been released a few weeks ago, I assume that there might be the time to fix this issue that will most probably happen many other times, since a lot of companies are switching from Office 2016 to Office 365 nowadays.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,950 Views)

I've almost done the test you want.  I've got a machine that has Office 365, but I haven't (yet) managed to get LabVIEW 2019 installed on it (don't ask!).  However, if I run the "Revised Excel Example" routine (search for it on the Forum with that name), which was written using LabVIEW 2013, on this machine running LabVIEW 2018, it runs fine, and produces an Excel "Report" with three Tables and a Chart.  [Sorry about that previous sentence -- PC is running LabVIEW 2018, Windows 10, Office 365, original LabVIEW code developed using LabVIEW 2013].

I do have LabVIEW 2019 running in a VM, but there the installed Office is Office 2013 (all Office versions are 64-bit, all LabVIEW versions are 32-bit, sorry I didn't mention it earlier].  It also runs fine, though noticably slower (less memory in the VM, probably).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,920 Views)