LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Image Manipulation Fieldpoint - JPG

Good afternoon,

I’m using a Compact Fieldpoint (cFP-2120 / LabVIEW 8.2) and have it hooked up to a camera which is capturing images in some custom image format which I’ve been able to convert to .BMP and save these files resident on the cFP.  As our cFP runs for several months without its contents downloaded storage space begins to become a series limitation.  I’d like to convert these .BMPs to some other format e.g. .JPG.  I understand that ‘Write to JPEG’ VIs and other JPEG manipulation functions can not function on the cFP / real-time systems.  I have the following questions:

1)      Does anyone have any other suggestions for how to reduce the size of these images (i.e. they don’t need to be opened / accessed until several months later – and thus could be saved in some sort of zipped format if that were possible)?

2)      Are there are any .DLLs (e.g. besides IMAQ.DLL etc. which can’t run on the cFP) which can do the conversion to JPEG (e.g. BMP to JPEG conversion) and function on a cFP / real-time system? 

Many thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,147 Views)
You could periodically ftp the files to a pc for storage from the RT system and avoid image compression all together. 
Paul Falkenstein
Coleman Technologies Inc.
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Labview 4.0- 2013, RT, Vision, FPGA
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,137 Views)
Unfortunately the RT system is not accessible because it is operating in a stand alone manner in a remote location (Arctic) and thus there is no option to FTP over the files to avoid storage issues etc.  Thanks for your suggestion in any case.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,131 Views)

Hey Portend,

There are some VI's on the Graphics and Sound palette that you may want to look into (Functions»Sounds and Graphics»Graphics Formats). You could use the Read BMP File.vi to get the image data and then use the Write JPEG File.vi to write a JPEG image. You would likely need to then go back and delete the original BMP file to save space.

Hope this helps.
-Ben

WaterlooLabs
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,104 Views)