LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Icon Editor Add Icon Text Slow

Hello,

For some reason when I enter text into the Add Text Fields in the Icon editor it is REALLY slow.  From what I can tell everything else in the Icon editor is working fine.  I have never run into this problem before.

Any experience with this?

Thanks

Dan Shangraw, P.E.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(2,631 Views)

I regret to say I don't know where the "Add Text Fields" is located in the Icon Editor.  It sounds like you are using additional features of the Icon Editor than the ones that pop up when you right-click the Icon in the upper right corner of of the Block Diiagram (or Front Panel).  Could you enlighten me?

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(2,593 Views)

I'm guessing he is talking about the text boxes on the Icon Text tab?  I've never had that issue, fortunately (for me).  Sorry I can't help you.  😞

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(2,571 Views)

Hello Bob,

Here is a screen shot of the tab in the icon editor I am having a problem.

Everything else in the icon editor seems to be working fine.  I checked my computer performance and everything seem OK.  All other programs seem to be working normally.

Annotation 2020-04-20 093630.png

Dan Shangraw, P.E.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(2,532 Views)

I abhor text in icons, so I don't use the text fields.  Search the glyphs for something that fits, or do a web search for an image then shrink it and paste it into the icon.

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(2,521 Views)

@paul_cardinale wrote:

I abhor text in icons, so I don't use the text fields.  Search the glyphs for something that fits, or do a web search for an image then shrink it and paste it into the icon.

I feel this is skirting the question; it's a workaround.  If the OP wants text and the editor is slow in response, then something's wrong.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(2,497 Views)

I have not seen this issue before either.

If no one comes forward with a "me too, here's how I fixed it!", then I would suggest a LabVIEW re-install.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(2,486 Views)

The source for the icon editor is available in this forum thread here:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/Enhanced-Icon-Editor/Icon-Editor-Source-Files-for-LabVIEW-2019/gpm-p/392517... 

The idea behind the forum is that you can use the code to customize your icon editing interface, but the default editor is included to use as a start point along with instructions on installing it to replace the packaged version that comes with LabVIEW.

If you're not using LabVIEW 2019 there are other threads in the same forum, one for each edition going back to 2015.

It could be that just replacing the built-in icon editor code will fix it (i.e. if there was a corrupt file or something).  However, if it doesn't, you now have the ability to edit the source to add debug hooks to find the location(s) in the code that are super slow, and address them.

Message 8 of 12
(2,478 Views)

Ah, thanks for showing this example.  I completely agree!  I solved this so many years ago that I forgot it was even a problem!  Change the font size from 9 point to 10 point and the text will be so much better!  Sorry it took me so long to realize the problem ...

Bob Schor

Message 9 of 12
(2,469 Views)

So an update in this.  It seems to come and go.  I don't know why it is slow sometimes and normal others.  I will try to keep on eye on this and post if I figure something out.

🤔

Dan Shangraw, P.E.

Message 10 of 12
(2,409 Views)