LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMAQ Rotate doesn't work on deployed computer

Solved!
Go to solution

It's been a while since I used LabVIEW and I'm diving back into this for a new project.  I'm hoping you folks can help me out.

I am using IMAQ Rotate to rotate a camera image 180 degrees.  The image feed is viewed on the front panel and I can confirm this works as expected on my development computer.  Once I deploy it to the system's dedicated computer using the application builder, the front panel image feed just shows a white screen.  No image, flipped or otherwise! 

Any ideas?  

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,277 Views)

I assume that by "deploy using the application builder", you mean that you make an Executable that runs on the other machine.  Several questions:

• Does the executable run (correctly) on the Development PC?
  • Suppose you make a smaller program that does not do a Rotate, just displays the Image.  Does that run on the deployed PC?  If it does not, can you create an even simpler routine and see if you can get it to run on the other PC?

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,242 Views)

Bob,

Thanks for the reply.  You are correct, I mean that I made an Executable that runs on the other machine.  

-I have not tried running an executable on the development machine, but I'll try that next.  

-I have tried running the exact same executable on the system's computer without the image rotate VI and it works as it should.  Displays the image with no issue.

I'll report back on the executable on the development machine, but I'd appreciate any other leads to chace down while I'm at it!

Thanks,

-Kevin

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,209 Views)

I think I know what it is!  If you are deploying IMAQ to another machine, you not only need to install the LabVIEW Run Time Engine, you also need to install the IMAQ RTE (I don't remember the name of it, but I do remember that it is a separately-licensed product and you require a license for the deployed executable, though you may be covered under your current license).

Bob Schor

Message 4 of 9
(3,198 Views)

Are you probing or capturing the error out of the rotation function? I believe if the particular function is not properly licensed as Bob believes it will throw an error saying so.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,187 Views)
Yes, you may need VAS (vision acquisition software) to do vision related stuff, even in an executable. Last I checked it was about $400 per license. I am not sure, but I thought some of drivers were free (like IMAQ) and some required the license (IMAQdx). It should ask you if you want to use your 7-day trial if that is the issue, but in the past that hasn't worked. Either way if you call up NI they should be able to clear it up.

Also, you can try deactivating on your main PC and activating VAS on your deployment PC to see if it fixes the problem.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,182 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Darin.K

Hi Bob,

The installer does have the NI Vision runtime engine selected along with the LabVIEW runtime engine and NI Vision Common Resources.  Also, there are other VIs from the NI Vision Development Module that are functioning correctly which makes me hesitant to think it's related to the vision RTE.  

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,174 Views)

Hey Matt,

That's a good idea.  Can you probe in an executable?  The issue is only happening on the system computer running the RTE, not on my development computer.  I guess I can just put in an indicator to view the error out of the IMAQ Rotate vi.

Thanks,

-Kevin

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,172 Views)

@gintree78 wrote:

Hey Matt,

That's a good idea.  Can you probe in an executable?  The issue is only happening on the system computer running the RTE, not on my development computer.  I guess I can just put in an indicator to view the error out of the IMAQ Rotate vi.

Thanks,

-Kevin

If you can connect to the deployment computer from a computer with LabVIEW installed you can remotely debug an exe. I wish this was something that was linked at the end of every tutorial of how to build an exe.

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/8DA679805915DE40862572D5007B2F70

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
Message 9 of 9
(3,156 Views)