From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMAQ Image.ctl is not displaying image in built application

I used the application builder to generate a) an executable LabVIEW 2014 (32-bit, SP1)  application and b) an installer setup.exe that includes the relevant run-time engines (NI LabVIEW Runtime 2014 SP1, NI Vision Common Resources 2014 SP1, NI Vision Run-Time Engine 2014 SP1, Ni-DAQmx Runtime 14.2, NI-IMAQdx Runtime 14.5). The installer and the application execute without error message on a separate computer. However, the IMAQ Image.ctl window, which should be displaying the loaded avi video file, displays nothing. The video is apparently not loaded and processed. On the computer that I use for building the application (full LabVIEW installation), the video gets displayed and analyzed when I run the built LabVIEW exe file. 

Did I miss any needed installer (e.g. the NI-IMAQdx)? In two versions of my application I load the video either using the IMAQ AVI2 vis or Vision Express/VisionAcquisition and neither approach works. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(5,123 Views)

It sounds like an install problem.

Have you built an installer with your application to install the executable as well as any extra installers (Vision, etc)? This is the best way to make sure you have everything installed. Check the Installer section here.

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

'---   >The shortest distance between two nodes is a straight wire>   ---'

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(5,092 Views)

If you go to NI License Manager is the vision license active?

Message 3 of 11
(5,088 Views)

@Gregory wrote:

If you go to NI License Manager is the vision license active?

Wouldn't it pop up a warning about the licensing if this was the problem?

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

'---   >The shortest distance between two nodes is a straight wire>   ---'

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(5,084 Views)

It should start a 7-day trial for free (if it's the first vision application installed), but I have installed programs before and this does not happen. When I do a new install I often get an error. I forget if it says "camera not found" or "imaqdx open could not be run".  But if I go to the license manager and register my vision license the application works correctly.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(5,080 Views)

I have built an installer and included the relevant installers. Thanks for your link to the installer section. I have gone through the steps. The installer Properties window automatically selected the NI LabVIEW Runtime 2014 SP1, the NI Vision common Ressources 2014 SP1 and the NI Vision Run-Time Engine 2014 SP1. In addition I selected NI-DAQmx Runtime 14.2 and  NI-IMAQdx Runtime 14.5. The built application still does not work on a separate computer (it runs, but the image from the avi file is not displayed and not analyzed).

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(5,027 Views)

I have now activated all licenses again using the License Manager (I think they had already been active before). This didn't solve the problem.

One other point that might be relevant for a solution to my problem: I have developed the LabVIEW vis using the 32-bit version of LabVIEW on a 64-bit PC. I think the vi does not run properly in 64-bit versions since a third party LabVIEW development module (IC LabVIEW extensions from TheImagingSource) requires 32-bit. However, loading and displaying the avi video should be independent of the code used for getting the image from the TheImagingSource camera (this piece of code is removed/deactivated).

Is it possible that my built application is not running because the separate computer tries to run it as 64-bit? How can I specify that it needs to be run as 32-bit? In the installer Properties window, I selected Category/Advanced Requre the LabVIEW 32-bit development system.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(5,023 Views)

First a 32-bit program can never ever be run as a 64-bit. It can run under a 64-bit OS, but that does not make it change the program.

Now to your program, you haven't showed us any code so all we can do i guess.

How is your error handling? Do you get any errors on the error wire?

Where is the avi file placed? Same place on both PC's?

Message 8 of 11
(5,017 Views)

The problem is solved: After installing an active NI Vision Development Module Run-Time license, the built application ran without error on the separate PC. 

Before, the built application returned the error 1074396157 (Unlicensed copy of NI Vision) on the IMAQ MaskToROI vi which requires the NI Vision Development module (thanks to dkfire for the suggestion to check my error handling - I had an error wire that was not read out.

Is my assumption right that it will not be easy to develop a program that does not require the end-users of the built application to buy the Vision Run-Time licencse? Or is there a legal workaround that I am missing? This is the first time I am building a LabVIEW application.

(Just for completeness on why I didn't notice this license issue: I had included the Vision Run-Time Installer when building the installer and had assumed that it is activated for the end-user as well, just as the LabVIEW Run-Time component. I then noticed that the Ni Vision Development Run-time 2014 component is not activated on the separate PC. I had to uninstall it and install the old 2012 version (http://www.ni.com/download/vision-development-module-run-time-2012/2980/en/ ) which comes with a 7-day trial period.)

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(4,978 Views)

You are correct that you need a vision run-time license on each computer the application is deployed to whenever IMAQdx drivers are used. If you stick to only IMAQ drivers then this may not be required. I believe they are $423 for a license right now. The same vision runtime license is required whether you used the NI Vision Acquisition Software or the NI Vision Development Module to create your application.

Message 10 of 11
(4,961 Views)