LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to format some of the data from a text file and send to an excel spreadsheet.

Hello,

I am very new to Labview programming.  I want to take some of the data from a text file and send it to an excel spreadsheet with a specific format (ie labels and data are placed in certain cells).  I have been reading through the forums to try and gain some information.  I came across the 'write table to xl.vi' example on here.  I really don't understand the active x controls and I'm hoping to be able to accomplish what I want without them.  If anyone has any examples or something similar to what I am trying to do, it would be a huge help.  I don't know what other information I need to post so that you all know what I am trying to accomplish.  So, if you need anymore information, let me know.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Jeremy

Message Edited by JeremyD on 09-08-2006 01:16 PM

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,518 Views)

Hi JeremyD,

If you need just to format a text, you can write a ASCII File, and the "tab" char to change to the next cell (column), and the char "end of line" to change to the next line. That's all you need to know 😃

However, if you want to change cell properties, like the font type, the color background, etc. you will need to use activeX. Do it manually, or using the MS Office Reporte Generation Toolkit.

If you give me an example, we can work on it.

Tania Lozoya

NI MEXICO

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,472 Views)

If you do not need all the excel specific items you can just write it to a spreadsheet using the write to spreadsheet file vi's.

If you want to go the excel route you will have to use active x. you can see a lot of examples on the excel board under the breakpoint forum. please post a sample of how you want your data to look and I can maybe help explain what options you have. and also oyu do not necesarily need the report generation toolkit.

Joe.
"NOTHING IS EVER EASY"
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,466 Views)