LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to buy NI cam for my machine vision system

Dear member

I need to buy a NI cam to use it in my machine vision system that is used to in recognition of screws head like in second figure

the problem is that my web cam is not able to produce high quality image

so I need no but NI cam high quality
I need only  NI cam  with USB cable, not a  NI smart cam with processor

what is your suggestion please??

best regards

labview vision.png

labview.png

hi ?Q>

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 21
(3,214 Views)

You don't necesarily need a NI camera, you just need a NI compatible camera from any machine vision equipment supplier.

You can buy them from NI too: http://sine.ni.com/np/app/main/p/ap/vision/lang/en/pg/1/sn/n17:vision,n21:16645/

(I use a GigE Basler Ace, and it seems to work well with LV, I believe they also do a USB3 version)

Don't forget you will need to specify and buy the lens separatly from the camera.

Other camera suppliers that will help you specify your camera/lens/lighting too:

stemmer-imaging.co.uk

multipix.com

There will be local equivelants of these if you are not UK based.

Message 2 of 21
(3,192 Views)

@Phil_ wrote:

You don't necessarily need a NI camera, you just need a NI compatible camera from any machine vision equipment supplier.

You can buy them from NI too: http://sine.ni.com/np/app/main/p/ap/vision/lang/en/pg/1/sn/n17:vision,n21:16645/

(I use a GigE Basler Ace, and it seems to work well with LV, I believe they also do a USB3 version)

Don't forget you will need to specify and buy the lens separately from the camera.

Other camera suppliers that will help you specify your camera/lens/lighting too:

stemmer-imaging.co.uk

multipix.com

dear
I have buy USB 2 cam about (20$ )and use it but the acquired video is not a stable

as I am newbie can you suggest to me usb2 cam with lens
or what any general information about usb2 cam ,lens specification(pixel size....)  for my problem
best regards

hi ?Q>

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 21
(3,184 Views)

@mangood wrote:

@Phil_ wrote:

You don't necessarily need a NI camera, you just need a NI compatible camera from any machine vision equipment supplier.

Don't forget you will need to specify and buy the lens separately from the camera.

stemmer-imaging.co.uk

multipix.com

dear
I have buy USB 2 cam about (20$ )and use it but the acquired video is not a stable

or what any general information about usb2 cam ,lens specification(pixel size....)  for my problem
best regards

I used these camera sometime back, those are pretty good cameras with suitable lenses.:

CMOS Cameras: USB 2.0 and USB 3.0

Message 4 of 21
(3,182 Views)

@AnkitG wrote:

@mangood wrote:

@Phil_ wrote:

stemmer-imaging.co.uk

multipix.com

dear

best regards

I used these camera sometime back, those are pretty good cameras with suitable lenses.:

CMOS Cameras: USB 2.0 and USB 3.0

dear

CMOS Cameras: USB 2.0 and USB 3.0  is high cost is more tha 1000$
 any information , article or magzeoan that help me to detemrine the minimum cam requirements for my problem Magazine

hi ?Q>

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 21
(3,174 Views)

For your industrial machine vision application, you would be better off with an industrial protocol like the Gigabit Ethenet (GigE) or USB 3.0 cameras. You should have a look at Basler's Ace line of cameras (scroll down and have a look at the Gigabit Ethernet and USB 3.0 tabs).

Althought there are advantages to USB 2.0 (cost effectiveness, USB 2.0 ports available everywhere), it is still the least standardized and least popular camera bus considered. The one obstruction to the widespread adoption of USB 2.0 for vision applications is the lack of a hardware specification for video acquisition devices. Each vendor has to implement its own hardware and software design, which means that a special driver must be written to connect each USB 2.0 camera to each different software package. As a result, IEEE 1394 is much more prominent in vision applications. Also, most image acquisition drivers for USB 2.0 use utilities like DirectShow to acquire images into the PC. While these tools work well, they are a burden on the CPU. As a result, USB 2.0 image acquisition can be processor-intensive. Utilities like DirectShow also do not provide any type of interface for triggering or communication. Because of this, without a special driver, it is very difficult to synchronize USB cameras with each other or the rest of a system.

GigE Vision and USB 3.0 Vision are built to avoid this (by using GenICam) and are supported by National Instruments' Vision Acquisition Software. If you have to choose between GigE and USB 3.0, just remembe that GigE is good for longer cable lengths (100m v/s 8m for USB 3.0) and works well with multiple camera. Otherwise, USB 3.0 has better bandwidth (350MB/s v/s 125MB/s for GigE) and is plug and play (no extra power required).

Before you choose the camera, try to undestand what resolution and fps you need depending on your application, and then select the camera.

To get the right lens, you need to know the CCD size of the camera, and working distance and field of view of the object. Working Distance is the distance from the front of the lens to the object and Field of View (fov) is defined by the smallest rectangle of sides x and y which contains the object at the object plane. You need to use these to calculate the focal length and then choose the right lens.

Also, be sure to select the right lighting. Metaphase has some good products.

Wherever you are based, you should be able to find a local vendor for the camera, lens and lighting. Be sure to do the due diligence. You should, then, be able to get a good image for your application.

Adnan Zafar
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Coleman Technologies
Message 6 of 21
(3,169 Views)

@AdnanZ wrote:

For your industrial machine vision application, you would be better off with an industrial protocol like the Gigabit Ethenet (GigE) or USB 3.0 cameras. You should have a look at Basler's Ace line of cameras (scroll down and have a look at the Gigabit Ethernet and USB 3.0 tabs).

Althought there are advantages to USB 2.0 (cost effectiveness, USB 2.0 ports available everywhere), it is still the least standardized and least popular camera bus considered. The one obstruction to the widespread adoption of USB 2.0 for vision applications is the lack of a hardware specification for video acquisition devices. Each vendor has to implement its own hardware and software design, which means that a special driver must be written to connect each USB 2.0 camera to each different software package. As a result, IEEE 1394 is much more prominent in vision applications. Also, most image acquisition drivers for USB 2.0 use utilities like DirectShow to acquire images into the PC. While these tools work well, they are a burden on the CPU. As a result, USB 2.0 image acquisition can be processor-intensive. Utilities like DirectShow also do not provide any type of interface for triggering or communication. Because of this, without a special driver, it is very difficult to synchronize USB cameras with each other or the rest of a system.

GigE Vision and USB 3.0 Vision are built to avoid this (by using GenICam) and are supported by National Instruments' Vision Acquisition Software. If you have to choose between GigE and USB 3.0, just remembe that GigE is good for longer cable lengths (100m v/s 8m for USB 3.0) and works well with multiple camera. Otherwise, USB 3.0 has better bandwidth (350MB/s v/s 125MB/s for GigE) and is plug and play (no extra power required).

Before you choose the camera, try to undestand what resolution and fps you need depending on your application, and then select the camera.

To get the right lens, you need to know the CCD size of the camera, and working distance and field of view of the object. Working Distance is the distance from the front of the lens to the object and Field of View (fov) is defined by the smallest rectangle of sides x and y which contains the object at the object plane. You need to use these to calculate the focal length and then choose the right lens.

Also, be sure to select the right lighting. Metaphase has some good products.

Wherever you are based, you should be able to find a local vendor for the camera, lens and lighting. Be sure to do the due diligence. You should, then, be able to get a good image for your application.

thank for your information share

is CCD size=pixel size?? what ccd mean ,is thier other type,what ccd advantage??

also
i have buy camera with specific focal length then if i add lens with 14 mm focal is the total length will default focal+lens focal (14)?

what is the effect of focal length and pixel size on images??

best regards

hi ?Q>

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 21
(3,158 Views)

I recommend these videos by Greg Hollows @ Edmund Optics

EO Imaging Lab

Adnan Zafar
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Coleman Technologies
Message 8 of 21
(3,148 Views)

Hi mangood,

This document, Calculating Sensor Resolution and Lens Focal Length, has more information on choosing the right camera lens for your system. Most of the machine vision cameras come without a lens, so your focal length will just be the focal length of the lens you purchase.

AdnanZ gave a good explanation of your options. In this situation it sounds like it would be better for you to use a GigE or USB 3.0 camera for your application. This document on Choosing the Right Camera Bus might help you with your decision.

I hope this helps!

Emily C
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 9 of 21
(3,091 Views)

@Emily-C wrote:

Hi mangood,

This document, Calculating Sensor Resolution and Lens Focal Length, has more information on choosing the right camera lens for your system. Most of the machine vision cameras come without a lens, so your focal length will just be the focal length of the lens you purchase.

AdnanZ gave a good explanation of your options. In this situation it sounds like it would be better for you to use a GigE or USB 3.0 camera for your application. This document on Choosing the Right Camera Bus might help you with your decision.

I hope this helps!

OK

thank you all

I think I must try depth study before any work must be done
also I wondering way the price of industrial cam is so large

hi ?Q>

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 21
(3,083 Views)