LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have an labview application which takes around 50% of CPU usge but wen the same is running throgh code it takes only maximum of 12-16% can any body suggest me what might be the wrong.

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi Blaze

Hi

Yes i have to show the user nor of pop up's... say for example out of 100 if ten channels are malfunctioning i have to show ten pop up to the user(Alarm)... this cant be done in reentrant vi.. untill i click ok ... i cannot get the control of another .

Rgds

Bhargav

0 Kudos
Message 31 of 36
(603 Views)

Hi Balze

Its quite interesting knowing about the last comment//// ur idea is owesome .. thanks for the support....i accept ur ans

Rgds

Bhargav

0 Kudos
Message 32 of 36
(600 Views)

I think I understand your problem. You need to generate some pop-up windows. That do not halt the main program execution. A asynchronous call-and-forget VI. That is actually included in Labview from version 2011. Not much help since you use Labview version 8. But anyway here is a link http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361H-01/lvhowto/acbr_call_and_forget/ 

What you perhaps could do is to call an exe file and use arguments to pas information to the exe file. Remember to make the latter exe very low on CPU use. By using the WAIT(ms) and a value like say 1000 as input. Then waiting for user confirmation. On how to this I quote from a post made by the member Dave Briscoe not so long ago. The Labview version you are using are not on my computer any more. So I can not give more help.

But by doing this you should be able to handle things in a more automated way using a few loops. Rater than 100 separate loops 

@dave Briscoe wrote:

This can be achieved fairly easily...

Read this...http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/17C3AD70493CE0208625666A00763364 to see how to configure the build spec

Then read this...http://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-10281

to see how to access the arguments in LabVIEW

The following code shows how a LabVIEW executable can access the arguments that were passed into the exe...

CMD Line Args.PNG

The index array is only there to pull out the first argument.

If you were to build this into an exe called Test.exe then from the command prompt should you call the exe using the command line "C:\Test.Exe --argument", the exe will put the text 'argument' into the one button dialop popup.

Hope this helps.

Davy.

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
(Sorry no Labview "brag list" so far)
0 Kudos
Message 33 of 36
(586 Views)

@smurthy wrote:

at any cost i cant reduce my code as i need to pop up 100 vi's wen alarms occured....

So when the nuclear meltdown is about to occur, Homer Simpson will have to fight hundreds of popups instead of throwing the master switch?

No operator can deal with 100 popups!!! (This will be like in the early days of the internet where exploits casused the spawning of an infinite number of browser windows).

All you need is a single non-reentrant popup window that can display more than one event, e.g. in a list of the 100 last events, newest first.

Message 34 of 36
(560 Views)

Darren wrote:

Ultimately, we want to see this kind of application solved with a cleaner architecture.  I'm looking into ways of making it easier to start off with a good framework for an application (as opposed to starting off with a blank VI).  If you're willing to provide me with these details, it will help me make future changes in LabVIEW that will help users like yourself design more modular, maintainable applications.

That's a commendable goal, but sometimes even having all the frameworks and tools in the world won't help if you simply have a lack of proper programming design skills. Tools in a language cannot teach good programming skills.

Message 35 of 36
(553 Views)

altenbach wrote:

No operator can deal with 100 popups!!! (This will be like in the early days of the internet where exploits casused the spawning of an infinite number of browser windows).

When I was taking the LabVIEW Performance class one of the students asked the instructor if the number of windows that could be opened was 32 or 64 bit bound. I hate to think of the application he had in mind!

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

0 Kudos
Message 36 of 36
(542 Views)