LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I found a Labview instrument driver for the R3131 Advantest, what do I need now to connect a PC to my spectrum analyzer and download the graphs.

I used a laptop and my goal is to control the R3131 spectrum analyzer using Labview.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(3,658 Views)
Well, that depends on what kind of interface the instrument uses. Probably it uses GPIB, so you will need to a GPIB interface and cable for your computer. Connect the PC to the instrument using the GPIB cable and use the drivers you found to communicate with the instrument. If it uses RS232 then you need to read the manual to figure out the correct cable, probably a null modem cable. Then connect it to your PC's comm port.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(3,658 Views)
I use a GPIB-USB-A of NI. What I need to know is, wheter there a special VI that will allow me to download the graphs to my laptop. When I connect my laptop to the R3131 spectrum analyzer, and I run any of the VIs, I just don't see what my instrument is displaying on my laptop.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(3,658 Views)
Well first you should make sure that you have established communication with you instrument. Use the Measurment and Automation Explorer (MAX). Under Devices and Interfaces you should see your GPIB interface (the GPIB-USB-A) and under that you should see your instrument. Right-Click on it and and select Communicat with Instrument. From there you should be able to send commands to it (start with idn?).

Once you verify that you are communicating you can start using LabVIEW to control instrument. See if there is any examples that came with the drivers that may help you get started. You will probably need to need to write something to accomplish exactly what you want. You should consult the programming manual for the instrument to see w
hat commands you need to send to the instrument to get the data that you want and display it on your front panel.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(3,658 Views)
I am facing a similar problem. I have the list of commands I want to send to the instrument. My problem is that other than using the "communicate with the instrument" to send single strings, I have not been able to get Labview to communicate with the Instrument.

I have followed all the instructions you have suggested in your reply (this post) but I am having difficulty when using Labview to see the instrument.

<<- I have just posted a new thread in this Forum ->>
Message 5 of 13
(3,658 Views)
Are you getting any errors when you try to use LabVIEW or does it just do nothing?
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(3,658 Views)
Hi Brian,

It is now working 🐵

The solution is described in the other thread.

Thanks!
Message 7 of 13
(3,658 Views)
I am not sure whether the R3131 Advantest is the same as the Rhode and Schwartz R3131, but I downloaded the RS driver from the location:
http://www.rohde-schwarz.com/www/dev_center.nsf/show?OpenAgent&form=/www/download.nsf/showDriverFiles&driverNo=R3131LabView
and it seems to have a VI:
AVR3131 Getting Started Function.vi
which inits the analyzer, sets the freq and span, and then reads the trace and displays it. I dont know whether it works but this may help.

Otherwise, I would assume the driver you have must have an init vi, which requires the address info, and then outputs a resource handle and error handle to pass to other vis that are provided to perform the various functions -- I would assume that you could follow the example from the RS VI and replace i
t with the vis provided in your driver.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(3,658 Views)
Thanks Mark. I will give it a try
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(3,658 Views)